Bolton: Iran 2/3 way to nuclear weapons

• News
  • Thread starter bobnesson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, John Bolton recently stated on NPR that Iran is 2/3 of the way toward producing nuclear weapons, but it is unclear how he arrived at this conclusion. Some speculate that he is basing it on the fact that Iran has knowledge of how nuclear weapons function and the need for highly enriched uranium. However, it is unlikely that Bolton knows more than all US intelligence agencies combined. Experts like Scott Ritter and David Kay should be consulted for a more informed assessment. It is concerning that Bolton's statement was presented without challenging questions or opposing viewpoints from NPR. Some believe that Iran may still attempt to develop a clandestine nuclear program, but access to highly enriched fissile material is a limiting factor. It is important to remain vigilant and
bobnesson
Today 12.08.07 on NPR, John Bolton stated that Iran is 2/3 of the way toward producing nuclear weapons. I assume he is referring to the gas diffusion machinery necessary to create fissionable materials -- U235 etc. But it's unclear how he might arrive at that conclusion [assuming even a tenth of a grain of truth in his statement]. Can someone take a stab at that? Thanks! Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolton is pulling this stuff out of his neocon butt. As I posted a bit earlier, he has issued a blanket denunciation of the NIE, claiming that all 16 of the US intelligence agencies responsible for compiling it have conspired to downplay Iran's threat, and have done so for political reasons.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=203333

The agencies compiling the NIE used measured, qualified language. Bolton's rash declaration that Iran is 2/3 of the way to producing weapons probably means (in his absolutist neocon belief-system) 1) they know how such weapons function, 2) they know they'll need highly enriched uranium if they want to build a bomb. They're just not at 3) yet: "enrich uranium, build and test bomb components, assemble bomb, test bomb".

It is beyond belief that John Bolton knows more about the bomb-making capacity of the Iranians than all our intelligence agencies combined, though that won't stop Rush and other blathering war-mongers from dittoing him.

bobnesson said:
Today 12.08.07 on NPR, John Bolton stated that Iran is 2/3 of the way toward producing nuclear weapons. I assume he is referring to the gas diffusion machinery necessary to create fissionable materials -- U235 etc. But it's unclear how he might arrive at that conclusion [assuming even a tenth of a grain of truth in his statement]. Can someone take a stab at that? Thanks! Bob
I don't think Bolton is in a position to know where the Iranians are in their program. Not sure what he means by 2/3's.

Thanks! Bolton is an expert at finding the tiniest fragment of truth and leveraging it. I really take issue with NPR for presenting his statement, along with that of Gates, without any hard questions from the naive interviewer or an assessment from a qualified nuclear scientist or even an informed weapons inspector like David Kay or Scott Ritter. The one-sidedness of NPR and PBS is quite disheartening, but not surprising given the Bush Administration's throttlehold on them.

Scott Ritter lives about 80 mi north of me and he is periodically interviewed on the regional NPR affiliated station. One should pay attention to good folks like Ritter and Kay, who are truly committed professionals.

I don't trust anyone inside the Bush Whitehouse.

On the other hand, I am sure there are those in the Iranian government who will try to move ahead with a clandestine nuclear weapons program. They can certainly develop and test the technology with inert materials - and most of the technology is dual use. The only limiting factor is access to highly enriched fissile material.

Last edited:
Scott Ritter is a man on the inside. If you are interested in this Iran issue you may want to watch these interviews:
http://www.democracynow.org/2006/10/16/scott_ritter_on_target_iran_the
http://www.democracynow.org/2006/12/21/target_iran_former_un_weapons_inspector

Edit: Note that these were filmed a year ago, when our "4th estate" apparently didn't give a dam* and Ritter and Hersch were dismissed as alarmists. Guess what? It was true.

"And when Yamur lifted up his Voice, They did not listen.
And when He cried aloud, They put their Hands to their Ears, laughing.
And when He showed them the Cloud upon the Mountains, They said it was afar and would not come nigh.
And when a Sword glinted in the Hills and He pointed to It, They said It was but the Dancing of a Brook in the Sun"

I lifted this narrative from a novel, and inscribed it on the back of my wooden chess-board to remind me to be vigilant. Our country does itself a great disservice by ignoring the warnings of the vigilant and accepting the assertions of the powerful.

Last edited:

1. What evidence supports the claim that Iran is 2/3 of the way to obtaining nuclear weapons?

According to John Bolton, the former National Security Advisor for the Trump administration, Iran has reached a point where they have enough enriched uranium to build nuclear weapons. This is based on intelligence reports and their continued violation of the 2015 nuclear deal.

2. How close is Iran to actually having nuclear weapons?

It is difficult to determine an exact timeline, but based on Bolton's statement, Iran is likely in the final stages of obtaining nuclear weapons. However, it is important to note that building a nuclear weapon is a complex process and Iran may still face technical challenges in completing this goal.

3. What steps can be taken to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons?

Bolton has advocated for a stronger and more aggressive approach towards Iran, including increasing economic sanctions and potentially using military force. Other options include diplomatic negotiations and working with international organizations to monitor and restrict Iran's nuclear capabilities.

4. How does the 2015 nuclear deal impact Iran's progress towards nuclear weapons?

The 2015 nuclear deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was designed to limit Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. However, Bolton and others argue that Iran has continued to violate the terms of the deal and has used the time to further advance their nuclear program.

5. What are the potential consequences if Iran obtains nuclear weapons?

If Iran were to successfully build and obtain nuclear weapons, it could have serious implications for regional and global security. It could potentially lead to an arms race in the Middle East and increase the risk of nuclear proliferation. Additionally, it could embolden Iran to act more aggressively in the region and pose a threat to countries like Israel and Saudi Arabia.