Understanding the Dirac Equation: Showing \gamma^{\mu} Must Be Square Matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Dirac Equation in illustrating the negative energy problem and the existence of spin in relativistic quantum mechanics. The equation includes four constant coefficients that cannot commute with each other, leading to the conclusion that they must be square matrices instead of simple numbers. The question then arises about how this is proven, with a suggested relation involving the gammas that cannot be satisfied if the gammas are ordinary numbers.
raintrek
Yep, another quick question on the Dirac Equation!
I've become slightly more clued about the use of the DE now in illustrating the negative energy problem in relativistic QM as well as the existence of spin, however one thing is still puzzling me.

I've read this excerpt in a text:

[tex](i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\psi(x) = 0[/tex]

where the four coefficients [tex]\gamma^{\mu}[/tex] are constants. We shall see immediately that these coefficients cannot commute with each other. They must therefore be square matrices rather than simple numbers, so the wavefunction [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] must be a column matrix.

I'm not sure I understand how this is proven. Is it something to do with

[tex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu} + \gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu} = 2\eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

...and if so, is there a way I can show that this condition can't be satisfied if the [tex]\gamma^{\mu}[/tex] are ordinary numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Dirac equation should become the Klein-Gordon equation if the DE is multiplied by
[tex]i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu+m[/tex]. It won't if the gammas commute.

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is a fundamental equation in modern quantum mechanics.

2. Why is it important to understand the Dirac equation?

Understanding the Dirac equation is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has been used to successfully predict the properties of various particles, such as the electron and the positron, and has played a pivotal role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. What does the symbol \gamma^{\mu} represent in the Dirac equation?

The symbol \gamma^{\mu} represents a set of four matrices, known as the Dirac gamma matrices. These matrices are related to the spin and angular momentum of particles and are essential in solving the Dirac equation.

4. Why must \gamma^{\mu} be square matrices in the Dirac equation?

In order for the Dirac equation to accurately describe the behavior of fermions, the Dirac gamma matrices must be square matrices. This is because square matrices have the necessary properties, such as being invertible, to accurately represent the spin and angular momentum of fermions.

5. How is the square property of \gamma^{\mu} demonstrated in the Dirac equation?

The square property of \gamma^{\mu} is demonstrated in the Dirac equation through mathematical manipulation and proof. By showing that the Dirac equation can be written in a form that includes the square of the Dirac gamma matrices, it is proven that \gamma^{\mu} must be square matrices.