Electron filmed for first time ever

Rather, it seems that the images show the behavior and movement of electrons after they have been pulled away from an atom. In summary, a movie of an electron has been captured for the first time ever. The images show the movement of an electron riding on a light wave after being pulled away from an atom. The study is published in Physical Review Letters and can be further explored through the provided link to the research paper.
SF
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Under the first link a guy is quoted talking about the amount of time it takes for an electron to orbit the nucleus of an atom.

Isn't that the circa 1900 Rutherford model of the atom, to speak of electrons orbiting the nucleus like planets around the sun? And of course, the isosurfaces of electron shells are not circular at all. So is that complete bunk, or if not what is his description analogous to?

I am a bit confused aswell... I know nothing about quantum physics but how can you measure and state speed or time at witch the electron "orbits" (another strange statement) the nucleus?

Tachyon.

I think the guy that wrote on the blog has missunderstood alot..

malawi_glenn said:
I think the guy that wrote on the blog has missunderstood alot..

But the guy quoted in the first link talking about electrons circling the nucleus is supposed to be a professor of atomic physics. Do you think he's just dumbing something down too much?

The authors wrote that: "The movie shows how an electron rides on a light wave after just having been pulled away from an atom." So I do not think that these are electrons around the nucleus. Am I write? If yes, I do not understand, where is the electron? Is it in the middle of the circles? And the light waves are the circles? Such clumsy descriptions make only confusions. Who knowes more precisely this experiment, please give us precise detailes.

A bit later the authors wrote, that : "A stroboscope enables us to ‘freeze’ a periodic movement, like capturing a hummingbird flapping its wings." This suggests that several electrons can be seen on the video revolving around the nucleus. In that case where is the that single electron, that "just having been pulled away from the atom."

What the bloggers publish there, more than confusing. This is a horror. They should clarify, what and where we can see on the video?

Last edited:
SF said:
http://www.physorg.com/news122897584.html
http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/electron_caught_on_film_for_the_first_time

Now it is possible to see a movie of an electron. The movie shows how an electron rides on a light wave after just having been pulled away from an atom. This is the first time an electron has ever been filmed, and the results are presented in the latest issue of Physical Review Letters.

Dear SF,

The authors wrote that: "The movie shows how an electron rides on a light wave after just having been pulled away from an atom." So I do not think that these are electrons around the nucleus. Am I write? If yes, I do not understand, where is the electron? Is it in the middle of the circles? And the light waves are the circles? Such clumsy descriptions make only confusions. Who knowes more precisely this experiment, please give us precise detailes.

A bit later the authors wrote, that : "A stroboscope enables us to ‘freeze’ a periodic movement, like capturing a hummingbird flapping its wings." This suggests that several electrons can be seen on the video revolving around the nucleus. In that case where is the that single electron, that "just having been pulled away from the atom."

What the bloggers publish there, more than confusing. This is a horror. They should clarify, what and where we can see on the video?

Do you have more information on this study?

The research paper can be read here by clicking on the Article in Physical Review Letters link.

The paper describes the images as "electron momentum distributions" that demonstrate "coherent electron scattering".

I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable to explain what this means, but it certainly sounds rather simplistic to describe the images as a picture of an electron.

1. What is an electron and why is it significant that it has been filmed for the first time?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is significant that it has been filmed for the first time because it is too small to be seen with the naked eye and has only been observed indirectly through experiments prior to this breakthrough.

2. How was the electron filmed for the first time?

The electron was filmed using a technique called ultrafast transmission electron microscopy (UTEM), which involves firing an ultrafast pulse of electrons at a sample and capturing the scattered electrons with a high-speed camera. This allows for the visualization of the electron's movement in real time.

3. What was the purpose of filming the electron?

The purpose of filming the electron was to gain a better understanding of its behavior and properties, as well as to potentially gain insights into other subatomic particles and their interactions. This breakthrough could also have practical applications in fields such as materials science and electronics.

4. What were the challenges faced in filming the electron?

Filming the electron posed several challenges, including the need for extremely fast camera speeds and precise timing, as well as the delicate nature of the electron itself. The researchers also had to account for the effects of electromagnetic fields and other external factors on the electron's movement.

5. What implications does this breakthrough have for the field of physics?

This breakthrough has significant implications for the field of physics, as it allows for a more direct observation and understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the quantum world and the fundamental laws of nature.