Potential due to a continuous charge distribution.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the voltage at a point P located at a distance of 8.0cm along the perpendicular bisector of a nonconducting rod with a length of 6cm and a uniform linear charge density of +3.68pC/M. The method used involves multiplying the charge density by the length of each side and then integrating over the length of the rod to obtain a voltage of 0.0232584V. However, the answer in the back of the book gives a voltage of 0.0243V, leading to uncertainty about the accuracy of the method. It is suggested to integrate over the length of the rod to get a more accurate result.
Ajwrighter
1. A nonconducting rod of length L = 6cm and uniform linear charge density A = +3.68pC/M . Take V = 0 at infinity. What is V at point P at distance d = 8.0cm along the rod's perpendicular bisector?

2. V = S E * ds One half of the rod = L/2 1/4piEo = 9x10^9
R = sqrt((L/2)^2 + (D^2)) = 0.08544m

3. I've attempted this solution many times but here is the more recent.
(9x10^9) [(((3.68 x 10^-12)/0.08544 ) * (.03)*(2) ] = .0232584V

My reasoning for this method. Take the Charge density A and divide it by the Range of both sides, then multiply by the length of each side which equals .03 and then multiply it by twice to obtain V from both sides (since both sides are identical.) The problem is the answer in the back gives 24.3mV = .0243V. The method I am using, is it just a close proximity, a lucky guess? Or can my method be reproduced on similar problems to obtain a close proximity? In either case, if my method is wrong what do I need to change?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to integrate over the length of the rod.
The calculation is the same as that in many elementary texts for an infinite rod,
but with finite limits on the integral.

on one of my previous methods when I integrated I get 0.02484

I just tried integrating another way and got 0.02358.

1. What is potential due to a continuous charge distribution?

The potential due to a continuous charge distribution refers to the electric potential at a point in space caused by a distribution of electric charges that is spread out over a finite region.

2. How is the potential calculated for a continuous charge distribution?

The potential due to a continuous charge distribution can be calculated using the formula V = k∫dq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, dq is an infinitesimal amount of charge, and r is the distance between the charge element and the point at which the potential is being calculated.

3. What is the unit of potential due to a continuous charge distribution?

The unit of potential due to a continuous charge distribution is volts (V).

4. How does the potential vary with distance from a continuous charge distribution?

The potential typically decreases with increasing distance from the continuous charge distribution. The rate of decrease depends on the magnitude and distribution of the charges.

5. Can the potential due to a continuous charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the potential due to a continuous charge distribution can be negative. This occurs when the net charge of the distribution is negative, and the potential is measured at a point closer to the distribution. In other words, the potential is negative when the force on a positive test charge would be towards the distribution.