Help me with the trapezium rule please

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the approximate value of the integral \int _{0} ^{1} e^{-x} dx using two trapezia of unequal width. The solution involves drawing a diagram of the exponential curve e^(-x) and finding the areas of the trapezoids formed. The final result is T \approx \frac{1}{2}(e^{-1}+h(1-e^{-1})+e^{-h}.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] Help me with the trapezium rule please

Homework Statement

[tex]\int _{0} ^{1} e^{-x} dx[/tex]
By using two trapezia of unequal width, with one width,h, and the other (1-h) show that
[tex]T\approx
\frac{1}{2}(e^{-1}+h(1-e^{-1})+e^{-h}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the sum is given by

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^h+1)h + \frac{1}{2}(e^{1-h}+e^h)(1-h)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{2}(h+e^{1-h}+e^h-he^{1-h})[/tex]

and here is where I can't show it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There may be a problem because this line should be

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{-h}+1)h + \frac{1}{2}(e^{-h}+e^{-1})(1-h)[/tex]

Draw a diagram of the exponential curve e^(-x), mark the points on the curve at x = h and x = 1, connect the dots from (0,1) to (h, e^(-h)) and from there to (1, e^(-1)), draw the trapezoids, and find their areas. (What the problem is calling the "widths" are the bases of the trapezoids along the x-axis.)

Last edited:
ahhhh...dumb me... I drew the diagram correctly but instead of from 0 to 1, I drew from 0 to -1...and I used the wrong x-coordinate...I got it now thanks!

1. What is the trapezium rule?

The trapezium rule is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the area into trapezoids and summing up their areas.

2. How is the trapezium rule used?

The trapezium rule is used by dividing the area under a curve into smaller trapezoids, finding the area of each trapezoid, and then adding them together to get an approximation of the total area.

3. What is the formula for the trapezium rule?

The formula for the trapezium rule is (b-a)(f(a)+f(b))/2, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function being integrated.

4. What is the purpose of using the trapezium rule?

The trapezium rule is used to approximate the area under a curve when the exact area cannot be calculated. It is commonly used in numerical integration to estimate the value of an integral.

5. What are the limitations of the trapezium rule?

The trapezium rule is not always accurate and can produce significant errors, especially when the function being integrated is highly curved. It also requires a large number of trapezoids to get a more accurate approximation.