Vector/Matrix Differentiation: Where to Put the Transpose?

• Thread starter daviddoria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transpose
In summary, when finding the derivative of f(x)^2 where f is a vector, the result is 2*f(x)*del(f(x)). The placement of the transpose depends on whether f is a column or row vector, but this information is not always given in the problem. It is also possible to express the derivative using geometric algebra, but the use of transposes and matrices may not always be applicable.
daviddoria
if you want to find the derivative (gradient) of f(x)^2 when f is a vector, you would get

2*f(x)*del(f(x))

I never know where to put the transpose! sometimes its clear because another term in the equation will be a scalar, so you know an inner product is needed, but if you don't have a hint like that, how do you know if you should put the transpose on the f(x) or the del(f(x))? I suppose it depends on if f is a column or row vector, but a lot of times this is not given in the statement of the problem.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have a good online tutorial on vector/matrix differentiation?

Thanks!

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of geometric algebra (since f is a vector grad and the the vector don't commute) one has:

[tex]
\nabla f(x)^2 = (\nabla f(x)) f(x) + f(x) \nabla(f(x)) = 2 f(x) \cdot \nabla f(x)
[/tex]

(this works for a scalar f too since the dot product will just be scalar multiplication and you get [tex]2 f(x) \nabla f(x)[/tex].

Since you are talking about transposes, I'm assuming you've taken coordinate for your f and grad in some basis, in which case you can do it either way:

[tex]
2 f(x)^\text{T}\nabla f(x)
[/tex]

or:
[tex]
2 ({\nabla{f(x)}})^\text{T} f(x)
[/tex]

but in the second case you have to restrict the gradient to operating just on the first f(x).

ps. I don't know of an online tutorial. I'm learning about this now from two places:

Hestenes's New Foundations for Classical Mechanics.
Doran/Lasenby's Geometric Algebra for Physicists.

pps. If you choose to use coordinate vectors, and tranposition I think that basis also has to be orthonormal. Better to express using the dot product directly.

It occurred to me that what I initially wrote is wrong (has to be since it was a scalar result when it should be a vector).

Using ticks to mark what the grad is operating on when separated one can write:

[tex]
\nabla \lvert f \rvert ^2 = \nabla f^2 = \nabla f f = \acute{\nabla}f\acute{f} + (\nabla f)f
[/tex]

(again using the geometric product to multiply the two vectors).

Expanding this I get:

[tex]
\nabla \lvert f \rvert ^2 = f (\nabla \cdot f) + (f \cdot \nabla) f - f \cdot (\nabla \wedge f) - (f \wedge \nabla) \cdot f
[/tex]

Which in the three dimensional case can be written in terms of the "normal" vector products.

[tex]
\nabla \lvert f \rvert ^2 = f (\nabla \cdot f) + (f \cdot \nabla) f + f \times (\nabla \times f) + (f \times \nabla) \times f
[/tex]

Here we have a divergence, curl, directional derivative, and a ``normal'' directional derivative term (name?).

In my original post I allowed grad to commute with the vector, which means they are colinear (not generally true). Note that with the correction I don't really see how one would express this naturally with matrixes at all, so I've no idea now to answer your question of the where to put the transpose except for the colinear case.

1. Where should the transpose be placed in a scientific experiment?

The transpose should be placed at the end of the experiment, after all data has been collected and analyzed.

2. Is it necessary to include a transpose in my research report?

Yes, including a transpose in your research report is important as it allows readers to see the original data and understand how it was manipulated in the analysis.

3. Can the transpose be placed in the middle of a scientific paper?

Ideally, the transpose should be placed at the end of the paper. However, if the data is complex and needs to be discussed in detail, it can be included in the middle of the paper with a clear indication of where the original data can be found.

4. Should the transpose be included in both written and visual data presentations?

Yes, the transpose should be included in both written and visual data presentations. This ensures that all readers have access to the original data and can understand the analysis process.

5. Can the transpose be placed in an appendix instead of the main body of the paper?

Yes, the transpose can be placed in an appendix if it is too large or complex to be included in the main body of the paper. However, it should still be referenced and clearly labeled in the main body of the paper.