Calculating Power of Pump in Flooded Basement

• Thread starter duke_nemmerle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Pump
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the power of a pump that is removing water from a flooded basement through a hose. The individual solved the problem using the equation P = (change in mass/change in time) x (height + 1/2 x velocity^2) and questioned why they couldn't use the simpler equation P = (force x change in distance/change in time) since the force and velocity were given. It is suggested that the Bernoulli equation may be needed to find the force accurately.
duke_nemmerle

Homework Statement

Water is pumped steadily out of a flooded basement at a speed of 5.0 m/s through a uniform hose of radius 1.0 cm. The hose passes out through a window 3.0m above the waterline. What is the power of the pump?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually correctly solved the problem by taking advantage of the fact that
[tex] P = \frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t }[/tex] which for us is [tex] P = \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t} (gh + \frac{1}{2}v^{2})[/tex]

My question is, if the force applied is constant, why can't I use [tex] P = \frac{F\Delta d}{\Delta t} [/tex] since it's a simple matter of finding the force and [tex]\frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t} = v[/tex] is given.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello duke, i think the force F you specify cannot be found without using Bernoulli equation. :smile:

Yeah, I had actually found the force using an equation that is only good for static fluids, I'm going to see if using Bernoulli gets me the same result both ways. Thanks :)

1. How is the power of a pump calculated in a flooded basement?

The power of a pump is calculated by multiplying the flow rate of the pump (in gallons per minute) by the total head (in feet) and dividing that by the pump efficiency. This will give you the required power in horsepower.

2. What is the flow rate of a pump?

The flow rate of a pump is the volume of water that the pump can move per unit of time. It is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per second (L/s).

3. What is total head?

Total head is the total height that the pump needs to lift the water, taking into account any friction losses in the piping system. It is typically measured in feet or meters.

4. How do I determine the efficiency of a pump?

The efficiency of a pump can be determined by dividing the output power (in horsepower) by the input power (in horsepower). This will give you a decimal value, which can then be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

5. What factors can affect the power of a pump in a flooded basement?

The power of a pump can be affected by various factors, such as the size and type of pump, the height and distance the water needs to be pumped, the condition and length of the piping system, and the viscosity of the water. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the power of a pump for a flooded basement.