What is the Intersection of Two Sets with Real Number Elements?

• Thread starter Diffy
  • Start date
In summary: This seems very straight forward, but I am having trouble with wording and figuring out what is sufficient enough to conclude the proof.
Diffy
Let [tex]R[/tex] be the set of real numbers and let [tex] <, \leq [/tex] have their usual meanings.

Show that [tex] \{ x \in R : 0 \leq x \leq 3\} \cap \{ x \in R : -1 < x < 1\} = \{ x \in R : 0 \leq x < 1\} [/tex]

This seems very straight forward, but I am having trouble with wording and figuring out what is sufficient enough to conclude the proof.

So here is what I would argue.
By the definition of the intersection of two sets we have
[tex] \{ x \in R : 0 \leq x \leq 3\} \cap \{ x \in R : -1 < x < 1\} = \{ x \in R : 0 \leq x \leq 3 and -1 < x < 1 \} [/tex]

Here is where I am not sure about the language that I need to use...

Can I just say something like:

The only way both conditions can be true is if [tex]0 \leq x < 1[/tex]

Therefore we have [tex]\{ x \in R : 0 \leq x \leq 3 and -1 < x < 1 \} = \{ x \in R : 0 \leq x < 1\}[/tex]

Or should I not treat this as obvious?

Or is there a better way to approach this all together?

My definition of intersection is as follows:

[tex] X \cap Y = \{x : x\in X and x\in Y\} [/tex]

Up to this point there is no formal treatment of either open and closed intervals, so I am not sure how informal or obvious I should assume them to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffy said:
... Up to this point there is no formal treatment of either open and closed intervals, so I am not sure how informal or obvious I should assume them to be.

I don't know how if this notion fits your formality target, but I think the idea of open and closed intervals is already embedded in the [tex]<[/tex] and [tex]\leq[/tex] operators. When a mathematical proof uses a statement like "have their usual meaning", I'd guess a little informality would be tolerated.

Hi Diffy! :smile:

I suspect it's a logic test, and they want you to say something like …

if x > a and x > b, then x > sup{a,b}. :smile:

I guess you can break it up further to show why exactly it's like that.

{x in R | 0 <= x <= 3} int {x in R | -1 < x < 1 }

= [{x in R | x >= 0) int {x in R | x <= 3}] int [{x in R | x > -1} int {x in R | x < 1}] <-- Break it down to separate intersections of sets

= [{x in R | x >= 0) int {x in R | x > -1}] int [{x in R | x <= 3} int {x in R | x < 1}] <-- Rearrange the sets since we're dealing with all set intersections

= {x in R | x >= 0) int {x in R | x < 1} <--simplify to satisfy set conditions when intersected

= {x in R | 0 <= x < 1} <-- simplify further to satisfy set conditions when intersected

Hi everyone,

Tiny Tim, that seems to make a lot of sense. Even though the author never uses Sup or Inf, I will go ahead an proceed that way.

I am still a bit confused though on having "less than" and "Less than or equal to"

So I will say since x < 1 and [tex] x \leq 3[/tex], then we must have x ? inf(1, 3)

where the question mark is < or [tex]\leq[/tex]?

BryanP, I think you are saying the same thing that TinyTim is, so thanks for the help, I think breaking it up into that many pieces is missing the main point of determining how we know that the intersections of these intervals are what they are.

BobPi,
I would have rounded 3141592 up to 3141593.

Anyways, you are right, I think I can be very informal, but I was just missing the piece on how we know if x<1 and x < 3 that x must be less than 1, using least upper bounds and greatest lower bounds is the key I think.

Last edited:
Diffy said:
Reason: LaTeX formatting

For the "≤"? Just copy-and-paste what someone else has done!
So I will say since x < 1 and x ≤ 3, then we must have x ? inf(1, 3)

where the question mark is < or ?

ah … you need something like lowest-common-multiple in fractions.

Try rewriting one of the sets {x < 1} and {x ≤ 3} so that it matches the other …

{x < 1} = {x ≤ 1} ∩ {…?} :smile:
BobPi,
I would have rounded 3141592 up to 3141593.

But Bob is modest, and a model of understatement! :blushing:

tiny-tim said:
For the "≤"? Just copy-and-paste what someone else has done!

Nah, I forgot a / in my tex tag, so the whole post looked very strange.

tiny-tim said:
ah … you need something like lowest-common-multiple in fractions.

Try rewriting one of the sets {x < 1} and {x ≤ 3} so that it matches the other …

{x < 1} = {x ≤ 1} ∩ {…?} :smile:

Alrighty,
{x < 1} = {x ≤ 1} ∩ {x < 1}?

or

{x < 1} = {x ≤ 1} ∩ {x ≤ ?}

I don't see where you are going.. Sorry I'm a little slow and I have trouble these details.

tiny-tim said:
But Bob is modest, and a model of understatement! :blushing:

lol I know, I was just teasing, all in fun.

How about
{x < 1} = {x ≤ 1} ∩ {x ≠ 1} ? :smile:

1. What is a seemingly simple problem?

A seemingly simple problem is a problem that appears to have a straightforward solution, but in reality, it is more complex and may require careful analysis and critical thinking to solve.

2. Why do seemingly simple problems often turn out to be more difficult?

This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as hidden complexities, lack of information, or the problem being interconnected with other problems. Sometimes, our initial assumptions about the problem may also be incorrect, making it more challenging to solve.

3. How can we approach a seemingly simple problem effectively?

One way to approach a seemingly simple problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for a more systematic and thorough analysis of the problem. It is also helpful to gather as much information as possible and consider different perspectives.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a seemingly simple problem?

People often underestimate the complexity of the problem and rush to find a quick solution. This can lead to overlooking important details or making incorrect assumptions. Another mistake is focusing on finding a single solution instead of considering multiple possible solutions.

5. How can we become better at solving seemingly simple problems?

Practice and experience are crucial in becoming better at solving seemingly simple problems. It is also helpful to approach problems with a curious and open mind, be willing to consider multiple perspectives, and not be afraid to ask for help or advice from others.