What is the Relationship Between Pressure and Depth in the Ocean?

In summary, the pressure at a depth of 20m below the surface of the ocean is equal to the pressure at the surface (p_0) plus the weight of a column of seawater with a cross section of 1m^2 and a height of 10m, conforming to the equation p=p_0 +pgh. Therefore, the correct answer is option (c).
mantillab

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the concept of pressure in fluids.

The pressure at 10m below the surface of the ocean is about 2.00×10^5 Pa.
Now consider he pressure at 20m below the surface of the ocean.
This pressure is:
a) twice that at a depth of 10m.
b) the same as that at a depth of 10m.
c) equal to that at a depth of 10m
plus the weight of a column of seawater 1m^2 in cross section and 10m high.
d) equal to the weight of a column of seawater 1m^2 in cross section and 20m high.

Homework Equations

p=p_0 +pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Since pressure increases with depth, the pressure at 20m won't be the same as that at 10m. The pressure at a point 20m under the water is equal to the weight of the water above it and the pressure at the surface.

I don't think that (a) is the answer, because that would not take into account the pressure at the surface which isn't doubled. Answer choice (b) isn't correct because the pressure changes as the depth/height increases.

Answer choice (c) seems like it may be correct because it takes into account the pressure at the surface (p_0) and adds the extra weight of the increased depth, but would this conform to the equation: p=p_0 +pgh?

Answer choice (d) also seems like a possibility, except that it doesn't take into account the pressure at the surface at all and only refers to the weight of the sea water.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
mantillab said:
[
Answer choice (c) seems like it may be correct because it takes into account the pressure at the surface (p_0) and adds the extra weight of the increased depth, but would this conform to the equation: p=p_0 +pgh?

I don't get it...why won't it conform?

I guess I was confused by the way the problem was worded. But now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense: the pressure above (p_0) can be set equal to the pressure of the 10m and the surface of the water, plus (+) the weight of the next 10m (pgh). Thanks for the reality check!

1. What causes pressure in the ocean?

The pressure in the ocean is caused by the weight of the water above it. As you go deeper into the ocean, the weight of the water increases, resulting in higher pressure.

2. How does pressure change as you go deeper into the ocean?

The pressure in the ocean increases as you go deeper. For every 10 meters of depth, the pressure increases by about 1 atmosphere, which is equivalent to the weight of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level.

3. Why do some animals live at different depths in the ocean?

Some animals have adapted to live at different depths in the ocean based on the pressure. For example, deep sea creatures have specialized bodies that can withstand the high pressure, while shallow water creatures do not have to deal with as much pressure.

4. How does pressure affect diving in the ocean?

The deeper you dive, the higher the pressure. This means that divers must equalize the pressure in their ears and lungs as they descend in order to avoid discomfort or injury. It also affects how long divers can stay underwater and the amount of nitrogen that can dissolve in their bodies, which can lead to decompression sickness.

5. Can pressure in the ocean be dangerous for humans?

Yes, pressure in the ocean can be dangerous for humans if they are not properly trained and equipped for diving. The high pressure can cause injuries such as barotrauma or decompression sickness. It is important for divers to follow safety protocols and know their limits while diving in the ocean.