Modern vs. Traditional Psychology

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
In summary, the conversation revolves around the comparison of traditional psychological methods found in mystical traditions versus modern methods based on the works of Jung and Freud. Some participants believe that modern methods are better, while others find traditional methods intriguing. There is also a mention of Freud's controversial theories, including his Oedipus complex and views on women. The conversation ends with a quote about what men and women want from each other.
quddusaliquddus
Hi,
What do you guys think about the Psychology found in different mystical traditions versus the shrinks of today who base themselves on Jung, Freud etc ... ? :smile: Is one better than the other? Are they the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think modern is better. The traditional method of electrocuting people who are retarded or crazy is just stupid.

Can you define traditional psychology a bit better? It's not very clear what you mean.

LOL though the traditional method has it up points now you mention it Shawn...may have to experiment some traditional psychological method on my friends MUHAHAHAHA!

I'm not sure about this though, having never needed therapy, but it does seem like a long winded process of talking and stuff... besides who would want to listen to a guy who takes advice from a dude that wanted to sleep with his mum??

Lol. Yeah, I'm just thinking about it theoretically. In the UK there are like hardly any shrinks. As for the definition - I done a quick search on Google and found
http://www.wynja.com/personality/buddhistpsych.html
which is about the Buddhist psychology compared to modern psychology. If you read it maybe it'd be helpful. I'm finding it hard to define - since I don't know how to define the word 'psychology' itself.

I like Buddhists, they always have nice insight.

As Jimmy P mentioned, Freud thought everybody wants to kill their father and sleep with their mother. How fugged is that?

I often thought how people ever accepted his analysis...seriously-sick...I'm sure he had own problems

Was it Freud who said he didn't know "what women Want"?

well they definitely don't want their own sons...not in THAT way anyway...

There's a good chance he said that since every other man in the history of the world has said the exact same thing.

jimmy p said:
well they definitely don't want their own sons...not in THAT way anyway...

again...sick..sick..sick :frown:

ShawnD said:
There's a good chance he said that since every other man in the history of the world has said the exact same thing.

:biggrin: Yeah

Yet, he thinks he knows what men want ...

OK, I'm not going to say it but you KNOW what I'm thinking :biggrin:

I'll be the second to say that I do know what women want. The first to say it was some guy on some TV show or something.
"women want everything from one man; men want one thing from every woman"

As true today as it was when it was written :biggrin:

True dat...

What is the difference between modern and traditional psychology?

Modern psychology refers to the current theories, practices, and methods used in the study of the mind and behavior. Traditional psychology, on the other hand, refers to the earlier theories and methods that were used in the field.

How has modern psychology evolved from traditional psychology?

Modern psychology has evolved from traditional psychology through advancements in technology, research methods, and a greater emphasis on empirical evidence. Traditional psychology relied heavily on introspection and philosophical theories, while modern psychology uses scientific methods to study and understand the mind and behavior.

What are some examples of modern psychological theories?

Some examples of modern psychological theories include cognitive-behavioral therapy, social learning theory, and evolutionary psychology. These theories focus on understanding and explaining human behavior through a scientific lens, rather than philosophical or abstract concepts.

How does modern psychology impact society?

Modern psychology has a significant impact on society through its application in various fields such as healthcare, education, and business. It has helped in the development of effective treatments for mental health disorders, improved learning and teaching methods, and enhanced understanding of human behavior in the workplace.

What are the criticisms of modern psychology?

Some criticisms of modern psychology include its heavy reliance on Western perspectives and research, its tendency to oversimplify complex human behavior, and the potential for bias and ethical concerns in research studies. Additionally, some argue that modern psychology has neglected the role of culture and context in shaping behavior and mental processes.