Particle Passing Step Potential: A Wave Analysis

In summary, considering a potential step located at x=0, such that u=0 to the left of the step (for x<0), and u = U to the right of the step (x>0), there is a wave propagating to the right in region 1 and a wave propagating to the left in region 2.
gnome
Consider a potential step located at x=0, such that u=0 to the left of the step (for x<0), and u = U to the right of the step (x>0).

A particle with total energy E > U traveling from left to right has:

[tex]\psi_1(x) = Ae^{ik_1x} + Be^{-ik_1x} \;\textrm{for}\; x\le0 \;\textrm{and} \;k_1 =\sqrt\left(\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex]\psi_2(x) = Ce^{ik_2x} + De^{-ik_2x} \;\textrm{for}\; x\ge0 \;\textrm{and} \;k_2 =\sqrt\left(\frac{2m(E-U)}{\hbar^2}\right)[/tex]

I would say that [tex]Ae^{ik_1x}[/tex] portrays a wave propagating to the right, with kinetic energy equal to E and [tex]Be^{-ik_1x}[/tex] portrays a wave propagating to the left, and represents the probability of the particle being reflected by the barrier despite the fact that the particle has sufficient energy to pass over the barrier.

Then I would say that [tex]Ce^{ik_2x}[/tex] portrays the wave continuing to propagate towards the right, with reduced kinetic energy E-U, having surpassed the barrier, and that D = 0 because in the region x>0 there is nothing to cause a wave to propagate towards the left, and therefore [tex]\psi_2[/tex], instead of what I wrote above, is actually just

[tex]\psi_2(x) = Ce^{ik_2x} \;\textrm{for}\; x\ge0 \;\textrm{and} \;k_2 =\sqrt\left(\frac{2m(E-U)}{\hbar^2}\right)[/tex]

Then, of course, there are matching conditions to be met at x=0, etc...

The book's solution gives the same two equations that I wrote up at the top (without explanation), and states that " D = 0 at x = 0 ".

Please tell me if my explanations are correct (or how to correct them if necessary) and, is D=0 only at x=0, or is D=0, period.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnome said:
Please tell me if my explanations are correct (or how to correct them if necessary) and, is D=0 only at x=0, or is D=0, period.
I like your explanations and I agree with you that D = 0, period. The problem is that of a particle moving from left to right, so the only left-moving component is the reflected wave in region 1. (We ignore particles coming from x = +∞ moving towards x = 0.)

Thank you.

At least I feel that I'm beginning to see the QM pattern, even if I can't exactly say that it makes sense. :rolleyes:

1. What is a particle passing step potential?

A particle passing step potential is a phenomenon in which a particle encounters a sudden change in potential energy as it moves through a medium. This can occur in various systems, such as in quantum mechanics or in electrical circuits.

2. How does a wave analysis help understand particle passing step potential?

A wave analysis involves studying the behavior of waves, which can help us understand how particles behave when encountering a step potential. This analysis can provide insights into the reflection, transmission, and absorption of the particle at the potential barrier.

3. What factors influence the behavior of particles at a step potential?

The behavior of particles at a step potential is influenced by several factors, such as the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the mass of the particle. These factors can affect the probability of the particle being reflected, transmitted, or absorbed at the potential barrier.

4. Can a particle passing step potential be observed in everyday life?

Yes, a particle passing step potential can be observed in everyday life in various systems, such as in the movement of electrons in electrical circuits or in the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It is a fundamental phenomenon that plays a critical role in many natural and artificial processes.

5. How is the wave-particle duality principle related to particle passing step potential?

The wave-particle duality principle states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This principle is applicable to particle passing step potential, as the behavior of particles at the potential barrier can be described both in terms of waves and particles. The wave analysis of particle passing step potential provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter.