How do I plot Shear Force & Bending Moment diagrams?

In summary, the speaker is a student studying for their university's resits and is having trouble understanding how to work out and plot the Shear Force & Bending Moment diagrams. They have attached a question and have provided the support reactions, but are unsure how to proceed. They are seeking help to understand the process and are grateful for any assistance.
Sophie_Seal
Hi sorry I am rather new to all this but I was woundering if I could get some help?

Im currently studdying for my Uni's resits over the summer which fall in just a few weeks time.
Iv started to go through some of the old past pappers and I've got stuck on the same bit over and over again.

Now I've attached one of the questions I got stuck on.
And I understand it up to part (b) which is where I get confused.

The support reactions are as follows:

VA = 11PL/24
VB = 9PL/16
VC = -PL/48

But I am just not sure how to proceed from here.

So if anyone can help me understand how to work out and plot the Shear Force & Bending Moment diagrams I'd be very greatful.

Soph x

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 672
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is explained in every textbook on Strength of Materials.

1. What is shear force?

Shear force is a type of internal force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a structural element. It is caused by external loads acting on the structure and can lead to the deformation or failure of the element.

2. How is shear force calculated?

Shear force can be calculated by taking the sum of all the external forces acting on one side of the cross-section of a structural element and subtracting the sum of the external forces on the other side. It is typically represented by the symbol "V" and is measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

3. What is bending moment?

Bending moment is a type of internal force that causes a structural element to bend or deform. It is caused by external loads acting on the structure and can lead to stress and strain within the element.

4. How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment can be calculated by multiplying the external force acting on a structural element by the distance from the point of interest to the force. It is typically represented by the symbol "M" and is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

5. How are shear force and bending moment related?

Shear force and bending moment are directly related and have opposite effects on a structural element. As shear force increases, bending moment also increases and can lead to deformation or failure of the element. Engineers must consider both shear force and bending moment when designing structures to ensure their safety and stability.