Find the total mass of a wire with a certain density ?

In summary, you are asked to find the mass of a wire. The mass of a differential segment of wire is p(x,y,z)ds, where p is the mass per unit length of the wire. To find M, you integrate both sides of the equation.
CalleighMay
Hey guys! I have been on the forum for about a week or so and have compiled a lot of information and techniques to help me understand calculus, so i really appreciate everyone's help!

I am a soon-to-be freshman in college and am taking a summer class, calculus II (took calc I in HS). This is our last week of class after our final exam so my professor is taking this time to give us a preview of what we will be learning in the fall semester in Calc III (since this is the same professor). Every Tuesday class our professor gives us a few problems from future sections and asks us to "see what we can come up with" and to work together to find solutions. The following Tuesday he asks us to discuss the problems as a class, seeing which ones of us know our stuff =P

Basically, i want to ask you guys what you think about these problems as i do them along before i have my discussion. I really want to make a lasting impression on my professor by "knowing my stuff" -to show him i can do it! All's i need is a little help! Would you guys mind giving me some help?

We are using the textbook Calculus 8th edition by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards and the problems come from the book.

The problem is on pg 1075 in chapter 15.2 in the text, number 26. It reads:

Find the total mass of the wire with density p.
And it gives:
r(t)=2 cos ti + 2 sin tj + 3tk
and p(x,y,z)=k+z
(the p is a different looking p, most likely represents something else, something that sounds like roe maybe? lol. and k is really k below)
and: (k>0), 0<=t<=2pi

I looked at similar problems in the same section and came up with the following for this one:

r'(t)=2 cos ti =2 sin tj
but when finding II r'(t) II how do i do this with sin and cos? I know it's sqrt of each term squared, so would it be: sqrt( 2cos^2t - 2sin^2t ) ?

Then at this point, even if the above was correct, it's telling me to do:

integral from C to ? of p(x,y,x) dx and integral from C to ? of kz ds

Yeah I'm lost! :( Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! =/

Physics news on Phys.org
You're told to find the mass of the wire. The mass of a differential segment of wire ds is p(x,y,z)ds, where p is the mass per unit length of the wire. Think of how to relate this to a scalar line integral.

i'm sorry to seem stupid but i don't know what that is... i looked at similar problems and cannot follow the work at all.

You need to understand the concept of a scalar line integral before you can do this question. You know that the differential mass dm(x,y,z) of a wire segment ds is [tex]dm = p(x,y,z)ds[/tex]. Now how do you find M? You integrate both sides of the equation.

The general technique for this problem is to find r(t) vector function, which you have, then find [tex]|\textbf{r}'(t)|[/tex] and then express p(x,y,z) as a scalar function of t. So the line integral now becomes [tex]\int_{t_1}^{t_2} p(t) \left|\frac{d\textbf{r}(t)}{dt}\right| dt[/tex]. You have to determine the values of t1 and t2 which gives you the starting and endpoints of r(t).

1. How do you calculate the total mass of a wire with a certain density?

To calculate the total mass of a wire, you will need to multiply the density of the wire by its volume. The formula for density is mass divided by volume. So, if you know the density and volume of the wire, you can easily calculate the mass by rearranging the formula to: mass = density x volume.

2. What is the unit of measurement for density?

The unit of measurement for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). However, other units such as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) or pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) may also be used. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when calculating the total mass.

3. Can the density of a wire change?

Yes, the density of a wire can change. While most materials have a constant density, some materials may have a variable density depending on external factors such as temperature, pressure, or composition. Additionally, if the wire is made up of multiple different materials, its density may vary along its length.

4. How accurate is the calculated mass of a wire using its density?

The accuracy of the calculated mass depends on the accuracy of the measured density and volume of the wire. If these measurements are precise, the calculated mass will also be precise. However, if there are errors in the measurements, it can impact the accuracy of the calculated mass.

5. Is the density of a wire the same as its weight?

No, density and weight are not the same. Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The weight of an object can change depending on its location (e.g. weight on Earth vs. weight on the moon), but its density will remain the same.