Wave questions and Čerenkov radiation

In summary: In summary, rarefaction occurs in all types of waves, including sound, explosions, light, and ocean waves. It is represented by the trough of a wave on a graph. The force that causes rarefaction is the momentum of the medium carrying it outward, and the pressure driving it back. Phase velocity can exceed the speed of light, but it is a mathematical concept and does not represent actual movement. Group velocity, which describes the rate at which energy moves, can also exceed the speed of light. It is uncertain what would happen if the group/phase velocity exceeded the end of a signal, as this is still a topic of debate.
esvion
I have a couple questions about waves and Čerenkov radiation:

1. I know in all acoustic waves, rarefaction occurs after a wave passes through a medium. On paper, is the trough of a wave its rarefaction? What is the force that causes rarefaction? I've heard the "atoms are like springs" explanation, but I don't quite understand it. I am trying to understand why the air particles in this http://www.isvr.soton.ac.uk/SPCG/Tutorial/Tutorial/Tutorial_files/monopolfinalptpt.gif" rush towards the center. Why doesn't rarefaction occur in explosions (which have just one gigantic wave followed by much smaller ones) or in light waves? (or does it?)

EDIT: Explanation of picture can be found http://www.isvr.soton.ac.uk/SPCG/Tutorial/Tutorial/Tutorial_files/Web-basics-pointsources.htm" , but it doesn't explain why rarefaction occurs.

2. In Čerenkov radiation, I understand that the phase velocity in a charged particle exceeds the speed of light (in that medium). I also understand that it is possible for lasers to have a higher group velocity than light. How can phase and group velocities (or even frequencies in some cases I believe) be faster than the signal (speed) velocity of a wave? Does the group/phase velocity dissipate when it gets to the end of a signal?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Anybody? Should I post this in another part of a messageboard, or is my question not clear?

Help!

Last edited:
I admit an initial reluctance to respond. Your original questions are not very clear to me- for example, question #1 indicates some conceptual confusion between pressure (extrapolated to a discrete, particle model) and force, and question #2 seems like a 'word salad'. For example, I don't know what you mean by 'I also understand that it is possible for lasers to have a higher group velocity than light.'.

Maybe framing the questions with a coherent framework would help: Is there a particular physical phenomena you are thinking about?

In question #1 I was asking why rarefaction occurs, if it is represented on a graph by the wave trough, and what other types of waves besides sound waves (explosion, light, ocean etc.) encounter rarefaction.

In question #2 I was asking how group or phase velocity can be faster than the wave signal. I was also asking what would happen if the group/phase velocity (or frequency) was fast enough to get the end of a signal because it was faster than the speed of the signal.

rarefaction does occur in explosions. the momentum of the air carries it outward then the pressure drives it back.

phase velocity can exceed c because nothing is actually moving at that speed. its a mathematical artifact. nothing more. group velocity on the other hand is usually descrided as the rate at which energy moves. why it can exceed c is beyond me.

1. What is a "wave question" in physics?

A "wave question" in physics refers to a type of question that involves the behavior and properties of waves, such as light waves or sound waves. These questions often involve topics such as frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. What is Čerenkov radiation and how is it produced?

Čerenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. This produces a shock wave of electromagnetic radiation, which appears as a blue glow.

3. How is Čerenkov radiation different from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Unlike other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light or radio waves, Čerenkov radiation is produced when a charged particle moves through a medium at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. It also has a characteristic blue color, while other types of radiation can have a range of colors.

4. What are some practical applications of Čerenkov radiation?

Čerenkov radiation has several practical applications, including in particle detectors for high-energy physics experiments, medical imaging techniques, and radiation therapy for cancer treatment. It is also used in nuclear reactors to detect and measure the levels of radiation.

5. Can Čerenkov radiation be observed in everyday life?

In most cases, Čerenkov radiation cannot be observed in everyday life, as it requires high-energy particles and specialized equipment to detect. However, in certain situations, such as in nuclear power plants or during a nuclear meltdown, it may be visible as a blue glow. It can also be observed in the Earth's atmosphere as cosmic rays interact with air molecules.