Number of ways to pick 2 books out of several sets of books.

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Sets
In summary, the student has to sell 2 books from a collection of 6 math, 7 science, and 4 economics books. There are 3 ways to choose two different categories of books. Each category has a different number of books, so it must be broken into cases. After calculating the number of ways for each case, there are 94 ways to choose 2 books from different subjects.
torquerotates
# of ways to pick 2 books out of several sets of books.

Homework Statement

A student has to sell 2 books from a collection of 6 math, 7 science, and 4 economics books. How many choices are possible if the books are to be on different subjects?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure if I am right or the book. Analyzing one book, there are 6 ways to choose among the math, 7 ways the science, and 4 ways the economics. That makes 6x7x4 ways of choosing books. So for two books to be different, it would have to be half that amount. So (6x7x4)/2=84 ways.

But the book has 94ways. So am I wrong? Even so, 84 is only 10 away from 94 so something about my reasoning is somewhat correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Half the ways of choosing books is not the same thing as choosing books from two different subjects. There are three cases i) choose from math+science ii) choose from math+economics, iii) choose from science+economics.

Oh, I see. so 6x7+6x4+ 7x4=94

I guess my problem is deducing what method to use. Like, how did you realize that "different" means taking 3 Cn 2 cases? And how did you decide to consider cases instead of attacking the whole problem as one piece?

Well, the first thing you have to do is choose two categories of books. There 3C2=3 ways to do that. But now each of those 3 ways is a different problem with different numbers of books. So I had to break it into cases.

1. How do you calculate the number of ways to pick 2 books out of several sets of books?

To calculate the number of ways to pick 2 books out of several sets of books, you can use the combination formula (nCr) where n is the total number of books and r is the number of books you want to pick. The formula is nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!).

2. Can you give an example of calculating the number of ways to pick 2 books out of several sets of books?

For example, let's say you have 3 sets of books with 5 books in each set. To pick 2 books from each set, you would use the formula 15C2 = 15! / (2! * (15-2)!) = 105 ways. This means there are 105 different combinations of 2 books that can be chosen from the 3 sets of 5 books.

3. How does the number of sets and books affect the number of ways to pick 2 books?

The number of sets and books will affect the total number of ways to pick 2 books. The more sets and books you have, the higher the number of combinations will be. This is because there are more options to choose from.

4. Can the number of ways to pick 2 books be greater than the total number of books?

No, the number of ways to pick 2 books cannot be greater than the total number of books. This is because you are only choosing 2 books at a time, so the number of combinations cannot exceed the total number of books.

5. Is there a specific order when picking 2 books out of several sets of books?

When calculating the number of ways to pick 2 books, the order does not matter. This means that picking book A first and then book B is the same as picking book B first and then book A. Therefore, the total number of combinations will not change based on the order of the chosen books.