Maxwell's Equations and Path of light & Gravitational wave

In summary, Maxwell's equations say that the velocity of electromagnetic wave is constant, and that the path of the electromagnetic wave is also constant.
spidey
Maxwell's Equations say about the velocity of electromagnetic wave..Does Maxwell's equations also say about path of the electromagnetic wave i.e. light?
I want to know how to find the path of light from Maxwell's equations? Or it says only about velocity?

One more question, what is the path of gravitational wave? is it also the path with shortest time as like light? if light is affected by gravity then,intuitively,gravitational wave should also be affected by electric and magnetic fields? isn't it? what does Maxwell say about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Maxwell's equations completely describe EM.

The Einstein field equation's stress-energy tensor includes terms for energy density and flux, which would include energy in EM fields. Obviously Maxwell doesn't say anything about this since Einstein developed it quite a while after Maxwell's death.

one other thing, is that there are some guys (Mashoon is one name i remember) did some seminal papers in GravitoElectroMagnetism (GEM) . another named Clark did another paper. with differences in scaling (that was absorbed by the Lorentz force equation), they both came up with something that looked like Maxwell's equations given the assumption of reasonably flat space-time. but instead of charge (or charge density) these GEM equations had mass (or mass density) in them. although these guys derived the GEM equations out of the Einstein tensor equation (with the assumption of reasonably flat space-time and speeds much less than c), I've always felt that such corresponding equations to E&M were to be expected since both actions were inverse-square and both actions were believed to propagate at the same finite speed of c.[tex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = -4 \pi G \rho \ [/tex]

[tex] \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{1}{2} \mathbf{B} \right) = 0 \ [/tex]

[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \left( \frac{1}{2} \mathbf{B} \right)} {\partial t} \ [/tex]

[tex] \nabla \times \left( \frac{1}{2} \mathbf{B} \right) = \frac{1}{c} \left( -4 \pi G \mathbf{J} + \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}} {\partial t} \right) = \frac{1}{c} \left( -4 \pi G \rho \mathbf{v}_{\rho} + \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}} {\partial t} \right) \ [/tex]

For a test particle of small mass, m, the net (Lorentz) force acting on it due to GEM fields is:

[tex] \mathbf{F}_{m} = m \left( \mathbf{E} + \frac{1}{c} \mathbf{v}_{m} \times \mathbf{B} \right) [/tex]

if you eliminate [itex]\mu_0[/itex] (by substituting [itex]1/(\epsilon_0 c^2)) [/itex] and replace [itex]1/(4 \pi \epsilon_0) [/itex] with -G (the minus sign because, although like-signed electric charges repel, like-signed masses attract each other) and charge density with mass density, you get the above GEM equations except for a pesky factor of 1/2 which i am told is due to the fact that gravitation is some kinda "spin 2" field while E&M is a "spin 1". i don't know what that's all about, so i am just reverberating the terms.

but if you want to quantitative describe the propagation of gravity waves, i think the GEM equations are s'posed to be pretty accurate.

Last edited:
thanks for the info..

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as how they interact with each other and with charged particles. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the cornerstones of modern physics.

2. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to light?

Maxwell's Equations predict the existence of electromagnetic waves, which include light. These equations describe how electric and magnetic fields oscillate and propagate through space, creating the phenomenon of light. In other words, Maxwell's Equations provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of light.

3. What is the path of light in relation to Maxwell's Equations?

The path of light refers to the trajectory that light takes as it travels through space. According to Maxwell's Equations, light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. The path of light can be altered by the presence of matter, such as when light is refracted or reflected.

4. What are gravitational waves and how are they related to Maxwell's Equations?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that are created by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is based on the same mathematical principles as Maxwell's Equations. This means that gravitational waves can also be described and predicted using Maxwell's Equations.

5. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations in modern science?

Maxwell's Equations revolutionized our understanding of electromagnetism and paved the way for many technological advancements, such as radio, television, and electric power. They also played a crucial role in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity and our current understanding of gravity. Maxwell's Equations continue to be a cornerstone of modern physics and are essential for many fields, including optics, telecommunications, and electronics.