Hello How to prove the min function is continuous?

In summary, the min function is a mathematical function that returns the smaller of two values. Proving its continuity is important as it allows for its use in more complex equations and ensures predictability. Continuity in a mathematical function means that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. The continuity of the min function can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition or properties of limits. Applications of this proof include optimization problems, statistics, and mathematical theorems.
simpleeyelid
Hello!

Could anybody give me an idea about this proof?

knowing [tex]f_{i}:X\rightarrow[/tex]R i=1,2

to show whether [tex]f_{3}=min{f_{1},f_{2}}[/tex] is continuous!

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably f1 and f2 are continuous themselves? Is this a homework problem? I'll give you a small hint: work on the points where f1(x)=/=f2(x) and f1(x)=f2(x) separately

yeah, thanks, a lot, I finally find that it is convenient to construct it using the gluing lemma.

quick solution:

min(f, g) = (f+g)/2 - |f-g|/2

1. How can the min function be defined?

The min function is defined as a mathematical function that takes two inputs and returns the smaller of the two values. It is often represented as min(a, b) = a if a < b, and min(a, b) = b if b < a.

2. Why is it important to prove the continuity of the min function?

Proving the continuity of the min function is important because it allows us to use this function in more complex mathematical equations and proofs. Continuity ensures that the min function will behave predictably and accurately in all cases.

3. What is the definition of continuity for a mathematical function?

A function is considered continuous if, for any given input, the output of the function changes smoothly and predictably as the input changes. In other words, a small change in the input results in a small change in the output.

4. How can the continuity of the min function be proven?

To prove the continuity of the min function, we must show that for any given input, a small change in the input will result in a small change in the output. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity or by using the properties of limits.

5. What are the applications of proving the continuity of the min function?

The continuity of the min function has many applications in mathematics, engineering, and science. It is often used in optimization problems, statistics, and in the proof of mathematical theorems. It also allows us to use the min function in more complex equations and algorithms with confidence.