Beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners

In summary, the wide beam is supported at 2 ends by I-beam columns and at 4 corners by structural tubing steel. The load is uniform across the top surface area of the beam.
nmk15
Hi
I have a wood beam (that has a width w , and a length L ) supported at 4 corners. A uniform load of wt lb/ft covers the entire top surface area of the beam. each corner has a structural tubing steel. when performing stress and loading analysis, how can I simplyfy the above to be a beam supported at two ends? is there any example or toturials that covers beams supported at 4 corners and the stress and loading analysis explained. ****this is not a homwwork problem ***
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
nmk15 said:
Hi
I have a wood beam (that has a width w , and a length L ) supported at 4 corners. A uniform load of wt lb/ft covers the entire top surface area of the beam. each corner has a structural tubing steel. when performing stress and loading analysis, how can I simplyfy the above to be a beam supported at two ends? is there any example or toturials that covers beams supported at 4 corners and the stress and loading analysis explained. ****this is not a homwwork problem ***
thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by 4 corners. Is the beam 'sandwiched' at each end in between 2 steel tubes at the top and bottom faces of the beam, or is this a very wide beam (flat plate, like a sheet of plywood) that sits on 2 tubes at each end, on the near and far corners of each edge?

My understanding is that there are 4 cylindrical beams supporting the plate at all four corners. If so, then I really think you'll need to do some FEM on it, there will not be an accurate closed-form solution to this. Depending on the geometry, there will be stress concentration factors at the supports, and it would be difficult to model it as something simpler.

It sounds like the OP is actually a plate that is supported at each corner by a column.

The simplification will all depend on what the dimensions of the original "beam" are. The word "beam" takes on a very particular definition in mechanics of materials versus a plate.

sorry for the delay, I THOUGHT NO BODY WILL REPLY TO MY THREAD..
The wide wood beam consists of :
a wide sheet of wood 3/4 in thick with a length = 23 ft and width = 16 ft.
to bottom of this wood sheet, 27 (2 in by 12 in timber spaces 12 in apart) secured to it using wood screws.

steel beams :
I-beam: S 8X4 WITH WT PER FOOT = 23 LB
(A36 STEEL FY=36 KSI)
I-beam length = 23 ft
the I beam above is supported with one structural steel column tubing at both ends.

the square structural tubing: Fy=36 ksi and 12.02 Lb per foot
4in by 4in with 1/4in wall thickness.

the wood beam above is supported at only two sides, along the 23ft dimensions.
one i-beam and two structural tubing columns described above support the wood beam at the 23ft sides.
my goal is only to calculate : what is the maximum alloable load per square foot area.

What is a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners?

A beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners is a structural element that is designed to support weight or load evenly along its length. It is typically supported at four points, with equal amounts of weight or load applied at each point. This type of beam is commonly used in building construction and other structural applications.

What are the advantages of using a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners?

Using a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners has several advantages. First, it provides a more even distribution of weight or load, which helps to prevent sagging and warping. Additionally, it can support heavier loads compared to other types of beams. It also allows for a simpler and more cost-effective construction process.

How is a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners designed?

The design of a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners takes into account factors such as the weight or load it will bear, the type of material used, and the length of the beam. Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the appropriate dimensions and materials for the beam to ensure it can support the desired weight or load.

What are some common applications of a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners?

A beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners has a wide range of applications in various industries, including construction, bridge building, and aerospace. It is commonly used in building structures such as floors, roofs, and bridges. It can also be found in machinery, cranes, and other heavy equipment that requires strong support.

What factors should be considered when choosing a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners?

When choosing a beam with uniform loading supported at 4 corners, it is important to consider the weight or load it will bear, the length of the beam, and the type of material used. Other factors to consider include the desired strength and durability of the beam, as well as any environmental factors that may affect its performance, such as temperature and humidity.