Creating a Phase Diagram for C60 Triple Point?

In summary, scientists have not been able to determine the triple point of C60, but they are still looking for it.
cdude1034
While looking up Buckminster Fullerene for kicks, I was surprised to find that there wasn't a melting/boiling point for it. I did some digging and found that in fact it doesn't melt, but it sublimes at 800 C. which I understand. However, what I couldn't find was some sort of phase diagram for it, and that was a little frustrating.

My question is, Does anyone know where I can find a phase diagram for C60? And if not, how would I go about making one? I know there isn't a set formula, but say I wanted to make my own phase diagram, where would I begin?

I know it's a little nerdy and probably irrelevant, but I find it interesting.

Thanks for your help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
These things are best done experimentally, so the idea is simple - you take enough C60 to be able to observe its boiling point... :wink:

Ok, I get it, but what if I don't have access to a lab? Could I go medieval on it and calculate it? Looking around I'd say the answer is no, but in my experience, every question has an answer somewhere one the internet (this site has provided quite a few for me), and there has to be something out there with what I'm looking for, I'm just not typing the right key words.

Either way, thanks for the response.

I doubt you will find anything. Perhaps there are some methods, based partially on experimental data and partially on some simplifications, but results of such calculations always require a great deal of caution.

replying to cdude 1034 on Nov 14 2008:

I don;t know if theis thread is still alive after nearly a year, but I'd like to hear more on this, and to contact cdude if hew wants.

The triple point of C60 was a question that popped into my mind soon after reading of the fullerenes, and it was using a good portion of my time after I got retail access to Internet May 1992.

The best I could find was about 50 bar and about 1700 C. I found no mention of attempts to melt it whether successful or not.

It's still on my mind, and still have found no reference to attempts, or conclusions that there is no TP (ie, decomposes first).

For what I'm mainly involved in, google "microlaunchers"

One year on and I am seeking the answer to this question also. Anyone?

Extensive experimental reports indicate that C60 "buckyballs" does not have a liquid phase. This should not discourage anyone from searching for the answer scientist have not discovered everything yet.

buckyfulleren said:
Extensive experimental reports indicate that C60 "buckyballs" does not have a liquid phase. This should not discourage anyone from searching for the answer scientist have not discovered everything yet.
With some "light" reading I found that the phase change from rotatory(solid) to the ratchet (gas) phase occurs in about 6.8x10^-12 to 14.9x10^-11 seconds. At our current level of detection ability it would be unlikely to determine the triple point of C60 without a literal quantum leap forward technologically.

1. What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the physical states of a substance (solid, liquid, and gas) at different temperatures and pressures. It shows the conditions at which different phases of a substance coexist in equilibrium.

2. Why is it important to create a phase diagram for C60?

Creating a phase diagram for C60 (also known as buckminsterfullerene or Buckyballs) allows us to understand how this unique molecular structure behaves under different conditions. This information is crucial for practical applications of C60, such as in nanotechnology and materials science.

3. How is a phase diagram for C60 created?

To create a phase diagram for C60, experimental data on the melting and boiling points of C60 at different pressures is collected. This data is then plotted on a graph, with temperature on the y-axis and pressure on the x-axis. The points are connected to form a curve, and the regions above and below this curve represent the solid and gas phases, respectively. The point at which all three phases (solid, liquid, and gas) coexist is known as the triple point.

4. What is the triple point of C60?

The triple point of C60 is the specific combination of temperature and pressure at which all three phases (solid, liquid, and gas) of C60 exist in equilibrium. This point is represented on the phase diagram by the intersection of the solid-liquid and liquid-gas curves.

5. What can we learn from a phase diagram for C60?

A phase diagram for C60 provides important information about the behavior of this molecule under different conditions. It can help us determine the stability of C60 at certain temperatures and pressures, as well as the conditions necessary for it to undergo phase transitions. Additionally, the phase diagram can be used to predict the behavior of other similar molecules with complex structures.