Frequency Response of NI Elvis Board: Calculating Amplitude Error

In summary, the speaker has conducted an experiment on an active filter using the NI Elvis prototyping board and the frequency response was measured with the NI Bode analyzer. The output data was saved in a text file and the Bode analyzer has a 12 or 16 bit amplitude spec. The speaker is seeking help to calculate the amplitude error using the 12 bit accuracy spec for their lab report.
Ald
I've run an experiment on an active filter. I am using the NI Elvis prototyping board. The frequency response is taken with the NI Bode analyzer and I saved the output data in a text file. The Bode analyzer amplitude spec is give as 12 or 16 bits, how do I calculate the amplitude error using the 12 bit accuracy spec? The measurements are in dB.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ald said:
I've run an experiment on an active filter. I am using the NI Elvis prototyping board. The frequency response is taken with the NI Bode analyzer and I saved the output data in a text file. The Bode analyzer amplitude spec is give as 12 or 16 bits, how do I calculate the amplitude error using the 12 bit accuracy spec? The measurements are in dB.

This sounds like homework. What are your thoughts? In the *real world* the error will depend on the noise environment. In the *homework world* there may be no noise...

It is homework in the sense I'm writing up a lab on did on an active filter and I have to take into account the measurement error of the output. The spec was very vague to me, the Bode analyzer had an amplitude error of 12 bits. I just need a reasonable calculation to the error in reading the amplitude of the output of the filter.

1. What is frequency response and why is it important?

Frequency response is a measure of how a system responds to different frequencies of a signal. It is important because it helps us understand how the system will behave when different frequencies are input, and allows us to optimize and design systems for specific frequency ranges.

2. How is the amplitude error calculated for the NI Elvis Board?

The amplitude error for the NI Elvis Board is calculated by taking the difference between the actual amplitude of the output signal and the expected amplitude, divided by the expected amplitude. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors can affect the frequency response of the NI Elvis Board?

There are several factors that can affect the frequency response of the NI Elvis Board, including the quality and design of the components, the accuracy of the measurement instruments, and external noise and interference.

4. How can the frequency response of the NI Elvis Board be improved?

The frequency response of the NI Elvis Board can be improved by using higher quality components, calibrating the measurement instruments, and reducing external noise and interference. Additionally, careful design and optimization of the system can also improve frequency response.

5. How is frequency response testing performed on the NI Elvis Board?

Frequency response testing on the NI Elvis Board is typically performed by inputting a signal with a range of frequencies and measuring the output amplitude at each frequency. This data is then used to plot a frequency response curve, which can be analyzed to determine the amplitude error and other characteristics of the system's response.