Finding the mass of a planet using gravitational acceleration and radius

In summary, to find the mass of Planet Z, use the formula F = ma = GMm/r2 with the free-fall acceleration and radius of the planet, along with the mass and radius of Earth.
PrometheuSIT

Homework Statement

Planet Z is 5000 km in diameter. The free-fall acceleration on Planet Z is 7.00 m/s^2. What is the mass of Planet Z?

Homework Equations

Well Newton's gravitational law G(M1M2)/R^2
And I cannot think of much else

The Attempt at a Solution

On one of the earlier homeworks we were given a table in which there were fictional planets and their ratios of mass and radius to Earth so I tried using

gG M(earth)/(R(earth))^2 = gG M(z)/(R(z))^2
Where the "g"s are each planet's free fall acceleration.
so that the Gravitational constant would cancel and I'd have the Mass of planet Z

For the mass of the Earth I used 5.97E34, for the radius of the Earth I used 6387.1 km
I know that the radius needs to be in meters and would be correctly notated as 6.3871E6

I don't know how to figure this one out

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

F = ma = GMm/r2

a = GM/r2

Thank you very much

What is the equation for finding the mass of a planet using gravitational acceleration and radius?

The equation for finding the mass of a planet using gravitational acceleration and radius is M = (gR2) / G, where M is the mass of the planet, g is the gravitational acceleration, R is the radius of the planet, and G is the gravitational constant.

How is gravitational acceleration measured?

Gravitational acceleration can be measured by using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the acceleration due to gravity at a specific location on the planet.

What is the significance of using the radius and gravitational acceleration in determining the mass of a planet?

The radius and gravitational acceleration are both important in determining the mass of a planet because they are directly related to the strength of the planet's gravitational pull. The larger the radius and gravitational acceleration, the more massive the planet is likely to be.

Can the mass of a planet be calculated accurately using only the radius and gravitational acceleration?

No, in order to calculate the mass of a planet accurately, other factors such as the density and composition of the planet must also be taken into consideration. However, using the radius and gravitational acceleration is a good starting point for estimating the mass of a planet.

How is the mass of a planet determined experimentally using gravitational acceleration and radius?

The mass of a planet can be determined experimentally by measuring the gravitational acceleration at various points on the planet's surface and using the equation M = (gR2) / G. This can also be done by observing the orbital motion of objects around the planet and using Kepler's laws of planetary motion to calculate the mass.