Liquid Chlorine-Inter and Intra Molecular Forces

In summary, the question is asking to describe the bonding within and between molecules in liquid chlorine. The answer could involve general chemistry forces, statistical chemistry forces, quantum forces, or molecular dynamics. The type of class and level of chemistry may provide more context. However, the question likely wants the understanding of how chlorine atoms bind together in a liquid and how the molecules interact with each other, which may involve Van der Waals forces. Other possible interactions may include hydrogen bonding and dipole-dipole attractions, but the main force in liquid chlorine is likely the London dispersion forces.
mikeira
This is the question I was given:

"Describe the bonding within and between the molecules in liquid chlorine."

I suppose the obvious problem is, I have no idea what the answer is.
Any help will be appreciated! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of class is it? What kinds of bonds and forces have you studied?

The reason I ask is because the question is incredibly general. The answer could be general chemistry forces, statistical chemistry type forces, or quantum type forces. Molecular dynamics also comes to mind. So...more details?

Higher level (IB) chemistry... That was pretty much the whole question, though. It is for an exam review, and there are no further details besides that one line.

Then it probably just wants you to understand hose Chlorine atoms bind together in a liquid (what sort of bond is this?) and how the molecules interact with each other (I believe these are called Van der Waals forces). There may be some other special interactions (such as hydrogen bonding in water), but I think for chlorine it's pretty simple.

i think the basic three types are hydrogen bonding (F,O,or N bonded to H), dipole-dipole attractions (polar molecules), and london dispersion forces (ALL attractions contain this no matter what)
the only one i think that liquid chlorine would have is the london

1. What are the intermolecular forces present in liquid chlorine?

The intermolecular forces present in liquid chlorine are London dispersion forces. These are weak forces that occur between all molecules, including non-polar molecules like chlorine. They are caused by temporary imbalances in electron distribution within a molecule, leading to a temporary dipole moment.

2. How do intermolecular forces affect the physical properties of liquid chlorine?

The intermolecular forces in liquid chlorine are relatively weak, which allows the molecules to move past each other easily. This results in a low boiling point (-34.04°C) and low viscosity. Additionally, the weak forces do not allow for strong intermolecular interactions, resulting in low surface tension.

3. What are the intra molecular forces present in liquid chlorine?

The intra molecular forces present in liquid chlorine are covalent bonds. Chlorine molecules are made up of two atoms bonded together by sharing electrons. These bonds are strong and hold the molecule together.

4. How do intra molecular forces contribute to the stability of liquid chlorine?

The strong covalent bonds within a molecule of liquid chlorine contribute to the stability of the substance. These bonds are difficult to break, meaning that the molecules will remain intact at normal temperatures and pressures.

5. Can the intermolecular forces in liquid chlorine be manipulated?

Yes, the intermolecular forces in liquid chlorine can be manipulated. For example, by increasing the temperature, the molecules will gain more energy and will be able to overcome the weak intermolecular forces, resulting in the liquid becoming a gas. Additionally, adding solutes to the liquid can also affect the intermolecular forces, as the solutes may disrupt the interactions between chlorine molecules.