How to make graphene using tape really

• Thread starter ilpremio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, the researcher is trying to create graphene using the "scotch tape" method but is having difficulty.
ilpremio
Hey everyone,

So I've been doing research in graphene for a semester and my colleague and I have had no luck making graphene samples.

We are using the "scotch-tape" method on Kish graphite. We use a small piece of one flake to put on weak tape (we find that the Magic Tape is too strong and results in too much glue on the substrate) and peel repeatedly until we see a faint, gray cloud on the tape. We then put the Si wafer (SiO2 down) on the tape and peel off with the tweezer.

Our results are never good. We see a few small flakes of graphene (less than 5micron in length) and maybe one or at most two nice big pieces (greater than 10micron). This yield is not enough for us. We'd like to have at least 5 potential graphene flakes greater than 10micron per wafer. Also we get a lot of really thick chunks of graphite and glue on the substrate which hinders making good finger contacts. We've tried cleaning with acetone, methanol and isopropanol but it doesn't clean it enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this process better? We've gone through so many papers but they never give you the details. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

:-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not certain about this but, if possible try melting some of the graphite sample and cool it off slowly, a slight breeze from a small fan should do. That should make the bonds between the graphene layers easier to separate using the tape. If you already tried this, or if your professor advises against it then feel free to disregard my theory.

Amazing stuff that Scotch tape. In you down time you might use the remaining spool to take some http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/10/video-the-scotc/" of your finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
The number of flakes sounds pretty average from my experience. There usually is a lot of dirt on the samples, a lot of which is removed during the annealing process. (I'm a graphene theorist, working in department with experimentalists).

You might want to try better quality HPOG.

ilpremio said:
H

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this process better? We've gone through so many papers but they never give you the details. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

:-)

New method by hydrazine reduction:

see here:
http://www.physorg.com/news145544727.html

I'd be interested in hearing about what methods are used to confirm the presence of graphene, with what sounds like somewhat limited resources at an undergraduate facility, as positive identification appears to be more difficult than creation.

I hear Scoth tape works wonders for experimentalists... I very recently attended a talk where an experimentalist described the "Scotch tape method" and how they did it repeatedly to get as few as 3-layered graphene samples...

1. How does using tape help in making graphene?

Using tape helps in making graphene by allowing researchers to isolate and extract single layers of graphene from graphite. The sticky nature of tape helps in separating the layers of graphene which are only one atom thick.

2. What type of tape is best for making graphene?

The most commonly used tape for making graphene is Scotch tape or any other type of sticky tape with a similar adhesive strength. It is crucial that the tape used does not leave any residue on the graphene layers.

3. What is the process of making graphene using tape?

The process of making graphene using tape involves placing a piece of tape on a graphite sample and then peeling it off. This process is repeated multiple times until a single layer of graphene is obtained. The graphene is then transferred onto a substrate for further use or analysis.

4. How long does it take to make graphene using tape?

The time required to make graphene using tape depends on various factors such as the size of the graphite sample, the number of layers of graphene desired, and the technique used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

5. What are the limitations of making graphene using tape?

Making graphene using tape is a manual and time-consuming process, which can be prone to human error. It is also limited to producing small quantities of graphene and may not be feasible for large-scale production. Additionally, the resulting graphene may not be of high quality and may contain defects. Other methods, such as chemical vapor deposition, may be more suitable for large-scale production of high-quality graphene.