Neuroscience: Is it a Challenging Field to Pursue?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the difficulty and requirements of pursuing a career in neuroscience. It was mentioned that obtaining a B.S. in psychology, biology, or cognitive science, followed by a PhD in a specific area of interest, typically takes around 10-11 years. The difficulty of getting into a university for undergraduate studies depends on one's high school record and the chosen university. It was also suggested to have a background in quantitative sciences such as electrical engineering or physics, but the claim that "neuroscience is easy" was not agreed upon by the majority. It was also mentioned that a combination of theory and experiment is necessary for meaningful contributions in neuroscience.
FrazerW
Greetings, I am 14 years of age and I am thinking of choosing a profession revolving around neuroscience.

My query is how hard is it to enroll in the related university and how much work does it require?

-Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few friends who study cognitive neuroscience. They began with a B.S. in psychology or biology or cognitive science(4 years), and then entered PhD programs to do research on their area of interest (6-7 years).
The difficulty of getting into the university (for your undergrad) is going to depend on your high school record and also which school you apply to.

Wow, Math Is Hard censured and censored my statement that neuroscience is easy.

Anyway, to provide examples of the neuroscience I find fascinating, I recommend reading Oliver Sacks's "Awakenings", "Musicophilia" or Norman Doidge's "The Brain That Changes Itself". I don't know enough to say if everything in Doidge's book is accurate but his description of eg. Merzenich's work as far-reaching is spot on.

Although neuroscience is easy, I would recommend doing some hard majors in college like electrical engineering or physics. Choose things where you learn how to phrase a theory precisely, and where the match to experiment is important, and take every chance you can to learn how experiments are done in real life (doesn't have to be a neuroscience experiment, the Cavendish experiment is fine), or how engineers make things that really work, though of course, you may learn string theory for fun (string theory will probably not be relevant to neuroscience within my lifetime, unless I'm a Boltzmann brain ...)!

atyy said:
Although neuroscience is easy, I would recommend doing some hard majors in college like electrical engineering or physics. Choose things where you learn how to phrase a theory precisely, and where the match to experiment is important, and take every chance you can to learn how experiments are done in real life (doesn't have to be a neuroscience experiment, the Cavendish experiment is fine), or how engineers make things that really work, though of course, you may learn string theory for fun (string theory will probably not be relevant to neuroscience within my lifetime, unless I'm a Boltzmann brain ...)!

Don't listen to this guy, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. His claims that "you learn how experiments are done in real life" only in physics are ridiculous. It is no surprise that for someone going into neuroscience, the relevant experimental methods to learn about are in neuroscience itself.

That said, in many areas of neuroscience it is very helpful (or even necessary) to have a background in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics etc. This does not make neuroscience "easy". There is no sense in which learning about string theory will make you a better neuroscientist as he implies. That doesn't mean that quantitative skills are not important. Nor does it mean that mathematical maturity is unimportant.

Cincinnatus said:
His claims that "you learn how experiments are done in real life" only in physics are ridiculous.

I made no such claim.

Cincinnatus said:
There is no sense in which learning about string theory will make you a better neuroscientist as he implies.

I made no such implication.

atyy said:
I made no such claim.

I made no such implication.

Haha, right

In any case, we are in agreement that quantitative science is a useful background to have for a neuroscientist. This just doesn't mean that "neuroscience is easy" as you claim.

Cincinnatus said:
Haha, right

OK, let me rephrase what I said to see if I can make it clearer. I meant that you don't have to be an undergraduate in biology and neuroscience in order to do excellent graduate work in neuroscience. Hence if one chose to be an undergraduate in physics, as long as one learned how physics experiments are done, that would be plenty good for one to figure out how to do experiments in neuroscience. The one thing that may not be entirely true there is that some neuroscience experiments require good surgical skills, which may take a while to pick up. Even then, I submit that with a good teacher, patience and practice, surgical skills in neuroscience are quite learnable.

Regarding string theory, what I meant is that it is not useful for neuroscience. However, if one finds string theory fun, one should just do it as an undergrad and not be overly concerned about doing only neuroscience stuff. You could replace "string theory" with "music performance" or "competitive swimming" or "helping out in homeless shelters" in my sentence, and the intent of my sentence would be preserved (except that the part about Boltzmann brains would be even less true).

Cincinnatus said:
In any case, we are in agreement that quantitative science is a useful background to have for a neuroscientist. This just doesn't mean that "neuroscience is easy" as you claim.

Yes, agreed, a quantitative background is definitely useful! I'll concede that my claim that "neuroscience is easy" isn't agreed upon by at least 90% of neuroscientists. BTW, my original statement was that *experimental* neuroscience is easy (that was censored, which is why you don't see it on this thread). My personal philosophy for excellent experiments is actually to ask (others, but more especially one's self) as many stupid questions as possible, because stupid questions often come from assumptions in textbooks and literature that are unstated and perhaps even unquestioned. I would also like to encourage all stupid people that they can make progress in neuroscience by doing experiments, even if they are not smart enough to become theorists!

"What one fool can do, another can".
http://web.mst.edu/~lmhall/quotes/SPThompson1.html

Last edited:
Ah, so this is just your standard "theory>experiment" snobbery. :tongue2:

It should be pointed out that (unlike in physics) in neuroscience, it is still possible for a single person to meaningfully contribute to both theory and experiment. Admittedly there are people who only do experimental work but (at least in systems and cognitive neuroscience) they are becoming more and more rare. The proportion of people who are "only theorists" is also probably increasing... At the same time, most theoretical work in neuroscience is much closer to experimental data than it is in physics.

In my graduate program we have about 20 students in my class and I think less than 5 of us majored in neuroscience as undergraduates. So your comments about being able to major in anything else and still go into neuroscience are very true. I myself double majored in mathematics and neuroscience.

Last edited:
Cincinnatus said:
Ah, so this is just your standard "theory>experiment" snobbery. :tongue2:

Nope, reverse snobbery. I'm an experimentalist and proud of my stupidity! :smile:

atyy said:
Yes, agreed, a quantitative background is definitely useful! I'll concede that my claim that "neuroscience is easy" isn't agreed upon by at least 90% of neuroscientists. BTW, my original statement was that *experimental* neuroscience is easy (that was censored, which is why you don't see it on this thread). My personal philosophy for excellent experiments is actually to ask (others, but more especially one's self) as many stupid questions as possible, because stupid questions often come from assumptions in textbooks and literature that are unstated and perhaps even unquestioned.
Why would you assume that experimental neuroscientists don't ask these of questions? If anything, they ask many smart questions, which they formulate after extensive literature reviews of questions that other experimenters have researched. Do you read neuroscience journals? Do you understand the submission process for proposing a study? If you can't give incredibly persuasive justification as to why your hypothesis is valid, and why it is worthy of the expense, the effort, and possible risk of harm or suffering to subjects, an IRB board is not going to approve your study. Experiments are not conducted capriciously.

I would also like to encourage all stupid people that they can make progress in neuroscience by doing experiments, even if they are not smart enough to become theorists!
A completely idiotic statement. Experiments are not going to be conducted without detailed knowledge of theory, especially if the hypothesis challenges mainstream knowledge. Experimentalists ARE theorists. Due diligence and sufficient education must be in place. Do you seriously think a university will let any "stupid person" with a "dumb question" into their vivarium to cut up rat brains? Even the most benign of proposed behavioral experiments can spend months in review with an IRB board.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, interesting.

1. How difficult is it to study Neuroscience?

Studying Neuroscience can be challenging as it requires a combination of different disciplines such as biology, psychology, and computer science. It also involves complex concepts and theories that can be difficult to grasp at first. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling field of study.

2. Do I need a strong background in science to pursue a degree in Neuroscience?

While a strong foundation in science can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in science to pursue a degree in Neuroscience. Many universities offer introductory courses that provide the necessary background knowledge for students with different academic backgrounds.

3. What are the main challenges of studying Neuroscience?

One of the main challenges of studying Neuroscience is the constant evolution of the field. New discoveries and advancements are made every day, making it crucial for students to stay updated and adapt to new information. Additionally, the hands-on nature of the subject requires students to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. Is Neuroscience a good career choice?

Neuroscience offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, research, and technology. With the increasing demand for professionals in this field, it can be a promising career choice for those interested in studying the brain and its functions.

5. How can I prepare for studying Neuroscience?

To prepare for studying Neuroscience, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and mathematics. It can also be helpful to engage in extracurricular activities, such as volunteering at a research lab or shadowing a neuroscientist, to gain hands-on experience and a better understanding of the field. Additionally, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also be beneficial for studying Neuroscience.