Ultra long range projectile problem

In summary, physics students can use the equation Range = (Vo^2/g)*sin 2θ to find the range of a cannon ball fired assuming a flat Earth and constant gravitational strength. However, for projectiles with ultra long range, where the Earth cannot be assumed to be flat and gravitational strength is not constant for all heights, the problem becomes more complex. One approach is to use polar coordinates and find the intersection of an ellipse and a circle to determine the range. The values of l = semilatus rectum and e = eccentricity can be determined using the equation for gravity, F = GMm/r^2, and the initial velocity and angle of the projectile must also be taken into account.
putongren

Homework Statement

Physics students know that if one fires a cannon ball and one assume that the Earth is flat and the gravitational strength is constant for all height, we use the equation Range = (Vo2/g)* sin 2 θ, Vo = initial velocity, g = 9.8 m/s2 , θ = projection angle. How do we find the equation for range if we do not assume the Earth is flat and gravitational strength is constant for all height, neglecting air resistance? Like for ultra long range projectiles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to solve the problem is to use polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. The origin is centered on the center of the Earth and the y coordinate axis intersects the zenith of the projectile motion. I do not know if this is correct, but I assumed that the motion of the projectile follows a parabolic flight path. So the equation for parabolas in polar coordinates is r = { l \ {1 + e *cosθ} }, l = semi-latus, e = eccentricity. But after that, I have no idea how to do the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that right away, but what a natural approach.

Just solve for the landing point when the distance to the origin is the same R as the firing point.

While g is constant, what is the effect of the projectile's tangential velocity?

What happens if the projectile is fired in the direction of rotation of the earth? How about in the direction opposite the rotation of the earth?

wait, my math sux, I dun know how to do that.

I forgot to mention to neglect rotation of the earth.

Ah - so then one only needs to consider the intersection of a circle with a family of parabolas, which have the axis parallel to the diameter of the circle.

Astronuc said:
Ah - so then one only needs to consider the intersection of a circle with a family of parabolas, which have the axis parallel to the diameter of the circle.

Correct, to clarify it further consider only 2 dimensions (the Earth is a circle not a sphere).

putongren said:
Correct, to clarify it further consider only 2 dimensions (the Earth is a circle not a sphere).

Cool. Show us your work and the solution!

I think there's some confusion. Do NOT assume that gravitational strength is constant for all height. That should make the problem a little harder.

putongren said:
I think there's some confusion. Do NOT assume that gravitational strength is constant for all height. That should make the problem a little harder.

A little, but not much. Show us the relevant equations, and your attempt at a solution. This is homework/coursework, so per the PF "Rules" link at the top of the page, we are not going to do your work for you.

Show us your work.

berkeman said:
A little, but not much. Show us the relevant equations, and your attempt at a solution. This is homework/coursework, so per the PF "Rules" link at the top of the page, we are not going to do your work for you.

Show us your work.

Ok here's my try.

Use polar coordinates. Superimpose r = radius of Earth and r = { l \ {1 + e *cosθ} } (if you plot the graph of both equations together, you will see an ellipse on top of a circle with them centered on the same point). Then you can solve for θ (There are two answers, θ1 and θ2 ). Once you know θ1 and θ2, you know the intersection of the flight path of the cannon ball with the surface of the planet. The arc of the circle that connects the points where the circle and ellipse meet is the range. Range = 2*diameter*π2/(θ12).

The question remains is how to determine l = semilatus rectum and e = eccentricity. These two values determine the shape of the parabola, and hence the flight path of the cannon ball. I know that these two values is somehow connected with the equation of gravity, which is F = GMm/r2. That's all I know how to do.

I forgot to mention something. Make sure initial velocity of the cannon ball and angle at which the cannon ball is shot at is in the equation to determine the range.

putongren said:
I forgot to mention something. Make sure initial velocity of the cannon ball and angle at which the cannon ball is shot at is in the equation to determine the range.
There are two angles to consider. One is the angle swept by the arc of the range. Instead of being a flat surface, the range is a circular arc, and the length is Rθ, where R is the radius of the Earth's surface, and θ is the angle subtended by the arc.

Then there is the angle φ of initial projectile velocity with respect to the Earth's radius or the tangent to the surface.

There is also a constraint imposed by selecting a parabola (as opposed to some other form) to intersect with a circle.

1. What is the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem?

The Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem refers to the challenge of accurately predicting and controlling the trajectory of a projectile as it travels over extremely long distances, often exceeding hundreds of kilometers. This problem is commonly encountered in military and space applications.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile over long distances?

There are several factors that can influence the trajectory of a projectile over long distances, including air resistance, wind speed and direction, gravity, and the shape and weight of the projectile itself. These factors must be carefully considered and accounted for in order to accurately predict the path of the projectile.

3. How do scientists and engineers address the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem?

To address the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem, scientists and engineers use advanced mathematical models and computer simulations to calculate and predict the trajectory of a projectile. They also conduct extensive testing and experiments to gather data and refine their models.

4. What are some potential solutions to the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem?

One potential solution to the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem is the use of advanced guidance and control systems, such as GPS and laser targeting, to accurately guide the projectile to its intended target. Another solution is the use of specialized materials and designs to reduce air resistance and improve the aerodynamics of the projectile.

5. How does the Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem impact military and space operations?

The Ultra Long Range Projectile Problem has a significant impact on military and space operations, as it can affect the accuracy and effectiveness of weapons and equipment. In military operations, it is crucial for projectiles to hit their intended targets with precision, while in space operations, accurately predicting the trajectory of spacecraft and satellites is critical for successful missions.