Why Doesn't Total Mechanical Work Equal the Sum of All Work Values?

In summary: JIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in physics and the calculation of mechanical work using the formula Wnet=\DeltaK. The positive and negative areas on a graph represent work done in opposite directions, resulting in a net work of 18J. However, there is a discrepancy between the total mechanical work of the system (18J) and the total area under the curve (30J) due to the algebraic addition of negative areas in the integration process.
scuroangel66
Alright we just learned about work in our physics class and I've met with my professor to try and help me understand the concept better. Here is my question, how much mechanical work is done. The best example would be the diagram I attached. Each block on the graph is 1 unit by 1 unit. I understand total displacement of work gives you your change in K, from the formula Wnet=[tex]\DeltaK[/tex]
The positive area of the graph equals 24J and the negative area of the graph is equal to -6J, so the [tex]\DeltaK[/tex]=18J That means the work done overall on the system by the force is equal to 18J. But what I don't understand is why he says the object doesn't undergo a total of 30J. Because from x=0 to x=8 the object undergoes 24J and from x=8 to x=12 the object undergoes 6J in the opposite direction. So although the Total Mechanical Work of the system equals 18J, why can't you state the fact that the object underwent a Total Mechanical Work of 30J. I hope I made my thoughts clear. Any help would be great. One other thing I was just thinking was because to find the total are in calculus of an integral, you add the positive and subtract the negative, therefore adding it, giving you 30J from x=0 to x=12. So is there a difference between total displacement (18J of total work of the system) and total area under the curve (30J of work that has been applied to the object between x=0 and x=12)?!?

Attachments

• p5-55alt.gif
    p5-55alt.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, there was an error it should read...

Wnet=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K

The positive area of the graph equals 24J and the negative area of the graph is equal to -6J, so the [tex]\Delta[/tex]K=18J

An integration example: If you integrate the function f(x) = sin x from 0 to Pi you'll get 2. Integrating from Pi to 2Pi gives -2. The total is 0.
Integral[sin x] from 0 to 2Pi = 0. The area under the x-axis is negative in sign so quantities like work that depend on totaling the area are algebraically added.

If you specified your graph as four piecewise linear functions of x with domains a<=x<=b:

Code:
Function:              Domain:          Integrating the function from a to b: 
f1[x] = 6x/4           a=0,   b=4       12
f2[x] = -6x/4 + 12     a=4,   b=8       12
f3[x] = -6x/4 + 12     a=8,   b=10      -3
f4[x] = 6x/4 - 18      a=10,  b=12      -3

Total work: (Integral[f1], 0 to 4 ) + (Integral[f2], 4 to 8) + (Integral[f3], 8 to 10) + Integral[f4], 10 to 12) = 18

1. What is Total Mechanical Work Done?

Total Mechanical Work Done is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to or from a system by non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, during a physical process.

2. How is Total Mechanical Work Done calculated?

Total Mechanical Work Done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Total Mechanical Work Done?

The unit of measurement for Total Mechanical Work Done is joules (J), which is the same unit used for energy.

4. How does Total Mechanical Work Done differ from Total Work?

Total Mechanical Work Done only takes into account the work done by non-conservative forces, while Total Work includes the work done by both conservative and non-conservative forces. Total Work can also be calculated by integrating the force over a distance, while Total Mechanical Work Done is calculated using a specific equation.

5. Why is Total Mechanical Work Done important to understand?

Understanding Total Mechanical Work Done is important because it helps us to quantify the effects of non-conservative forces on a system and calculate the amount of energy converted or transferred during a physical process. This can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.