What's difference between (∂y/∂x) and (dy/dx)

• Thread starter Hamid1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, (∂y/∂x) and (dy/dx) and (fx) and (y`) are all different ways of representing derivatives of functions. ∂y/∂x and fx are partial derivatives, used for functions of several real variables. dy/dx or y' is the ordinary derivative, used for functions of a single real variable. The author may have used dv/dx instead of ∂v/∂x in the equation v = y/x because v is ultimately a function of x, despite being in terms of y and x in the substitution. In functions of two or more variables, it is not assumed that any independent variable is related to another independent variable.
Hamid1
Hi all.
Can anyone tell me what's difference between (∂y/∂x) and (dy/dx) and (fx) and (y`)?

Thanks.(please tell me my probable English mistakes!)

I asked this a few month ago but it seems that images in topic are not avaible (I think I have removed it from my server )

Physics news on Phys.org
∂y/∂x and fx are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_derivative" . They are applied to functions of several real variables, for example f(x,y)=x2+y2.

dy/dx or y' is the ordinary derivative of a function of a single real variable such as y(x)=1/x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
and another question:
I have read this in my book =>
v=y/x
dv/dx=...

My question is : although V function has more than one variable why the author has used (dv/dx) instead of ∂v/∂x?(y and x are variables)
(you said that dy/dx is used when there is a single variable).

v = y/x is a commonly used substitution for solving differential equations that involve y and x. It is assumed that y is a function of x. Although v is in terms of y and x in the substitution, v is ultimately a function of x, so it's reasonable to write its derivative as dv/dx

In functions of two or more variables, as yyat mentioned, it is not assumed that anyone independent variable is related to any other independent variable.

Thank you all.

What is the difference between (∂y/∂x) and (dy/dx)?

These symbols are used in calculus to represent different types of derivatives. (∂y/∂x) represents a partial derivative, which is used when a function has more than one independent variable. (dy/dx), on the other hand, represents a total derivative, which is used when a function has only one independent variable.

Why do we need to distinguish between partial and total derivatives?

In calculus, it is important to differentiate between partial and total derivatives because they have different meanings and applications. Partial derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. Total derivatives, on the other hand, measure the overall rate of change of a function.

Can you give an example of when we would use a partial derivative?

One example of when we would use a partial derivative is in economics, when analyzing the relationship between the demand for a product and its price. The demand for a product may be affected by multiple factors, such as income and availability. In this case, we would use a partial derivative to measure the rate of change of demand with respect to price while holding all other factors constant.

How do we calculate partial and total derivatives?

To calculate a partial derivative, we use the notation (∂y/∂x) and treat all other variables as constants. For example, to find the partial derivative of the function f(x,y) with respect to x, we would treat y as a constant and differentiate the function with respect to x. To calculate a total derivative, we use the notation (dy/dx) and differentiate the function with respect to the independent variable.

Are there any other types of derivatives?

Yes, there are other types of derivatives, such as directional derivatives, which measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. There are also higher-order derivatives, such as second derivatives, which measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its first derivative. These types of derivatives are used in more advanced calculus and mathematical analysis.