Why do some people not sign off on emails or messages with their name?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary: I always begin the an appropriate salutation, too. Inter-office e-mails I'm less formal with and don't do either.In summary, people don't usually sign off with their name because they feel weird doing it or it's not necessary.

Do you sign off on emails or etc.?

• Yes, I do sign my name at the end

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No, I don't sign my name at the end (explain)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Occationally sign off (explain)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
~christina~
Gold Member
I was wondering about this. In notes, pm's, emails. Why don't people sign off with their name? I do it because I think it's the proper thing to do, but I've noticed as I talk to more people, they dont' do it and just...put the message and that's it.

Do you do it? if not why?

I'm curious about what goes through your mind if you and if you don't.
I feel weird if I do it and someone else doesn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have made signatures for my work/university emails that go with each message by default. I don't remember seeing any message with fake signatures. I wouldn't write my name if it is not required or isn't useful.

Don't use this forum's PM.

rootX said:
Don't use this forum's PM.
What? Just don't use it? Will you burst into flames?

DaveC426913 said:
What? Just don't use it? Will you burst into flames?

I don't use it. I wasn't asking anyone not to use it.

Mine 60% of the messages are homework questions and one is about mine religious thread being locked. And last one from few months ago (14th) is asking not feed the troll. But, I don't remember sending out any messages. I was bit surprised that people use it more often.

I just delete pms people send me about homework help. What do I look like, a homework helper? It's damn annoying. "I have this homework due tomororw, please help me! I've posted it 20 places!"....DELETE.

Do you have this solutions manual?.....DELETE

I don't sign off with my name. It's just not a habit I have and I never think to. Most communication by email/pm/etc that I have doesn't require me to be formal so it would seem like an odd thing to do.

qntty said:
I don't sign off with my name. It's just not a habit I have and I never think to. Most communication by email/pm/etc that I have doesn't require me to be formal so it would seem like an odd thing to do.

So it's non formal? I do remember that my friends that email me don't type their name at the end. Interesting.

As for the signature that can be automatized, some people actually sign their name at the end regardless of this feature.

of course you have to sign off on more formal emails when you are working, people might get the wrong idea if you don't.

Cyrus said:
I just delete pms people send me about homework help. What do I look like, a homework helper? It's damn annoying. "I have this homework due tomororw, please help me! I've posted it 20 places!"....DELETE.

Do you have this solutions manual?.....DELETE

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the PM Focus... wiseguy.

Need help on this coursework due tomorrow!

What do I look like, a homework helper?

Yes, you do. It says so in your recognitions.

Topher925 said:
Crotchety old codger first; homework helper second.

I use my name, but I would like to ask something too. Americans that I know use looooong comical signatures. It contains typically more "content" than the actual message. There is always the "if you got this mail and weren't supposed to, delete all traces of it and inform us", "this message is under the US export control bs" etc. I guess there is a name too in the signature, but I never have enough patience to read so far. Is this SOP?

BR,
misgfool

Cyrus said:
Thanks for the PM Focus... wiseguy.

I expected some help :cry:

People used the custom of signing correspondence in non-digital days when the receiver wouldn't otherwise know who it came from. It was a handy idea. With e-mails and pms, you already know who it came from, so it really eliminates the actual need.

I almost never sign at the end of pms. The receiver knows who sent it and, if I've sent you a pm, we're familiar enough with each other on a personal level not to require standing on ceremony. If I send a pm to someone I don't personally know, then yes, I sign my name. I always sign off on business e-mails because it's proper form. I always begin the an appropriate salutation, too. Inter-office e-mails I'm less formal with and don't do either.

GeorginaS said:
People used the custom of signing correspondence in non-digital days when the receiver wouldn't otherwise know who it came from. It was a handy idea. With e-mails and pms, you already know who it came from, so it really eliminates the actual need.

I almost never sign at the end of pms. The receiver knows who sent it and, if I've sent you a pm, we're familiar enough with each other on a personal level not to require standing on ceremony. If I send a pm to someone I don't personally know, then yes, I sign my name. I always sign off on business e-mails because it's proper form. I always begin the an appropriate salutation, too. Inter-office e-mails I'm less formal with and don't do either.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess my habit of signing off on emails or pm's whether I know the person or not, a habit of mine.

Topher925 said:

It doesn't say PM me with your last minute help because your homework is due tomorrow.

for non-formal stuff, i don't usually sign at the end. I'm right there in the header, after all. it's about as silly as signing every forum post you make.

Do you sign off on emails or etc.?

Emails to people I know in real life are one thing, PM's and forum posts are another.

I type my name at the end of emails most of the time. The exception is if we are exchanging frequently, with quick questions and answers back and forth. Once the exchange has been started, I'm less likely to sign my name for the rest of the exchange.

For forum posts, I usually don't type my name. The exception is usually if I'm disagreeing or arguing with somebody, I'll type "Regards" and type my real first name to show respect and keep things civil.

For PM's it's about 50/50.

For Facebook wall posts, I don't type my name. My picture and name are right there next to the post, and besides I don't see others typing their name there.

Last edited:
Not only do I sign my name at the end of my emails, I sign my name at the beginning of the email subject:

Subject - <Insert my name here>: <Insert email subject here>

I sign my name on emails. I treat emails like letters and therefore sign them. For PMs, sometimes I sign them and sometimes I don't. It's usually habit for me to sign, but sometimes I just jot an initial instead of my full name, like I might if I left someone a quick note. If I'm having a conversation back and forth, eventually I end up dropping my name because it's more like a conversation than letter.

I see no point in signing them. If you want to know who sent it look at the "from" field.

Then again, I've never in my life sent a "real" letter so I guess I never got into that habit.

1. Why is it important to sign off on emails?

Signing off on emails is important because it adds a level of professionalism and courtesy to your communication. It also helps to clarify the end of a conversation and can leave a lasting impression on the recipient.

2. What are some common ways to sign off on emails?

Some common ways to sign off on emails include using phrases such as "Best regards," "Sincerely," or "Thank you." You can also use your name or a combination of your name and title, such as "Sincerely, [Your Name] [Your Title]."

3. Is it necessary to sign off on every email?

It is not always necessary to sign off on every email, especially if you are having a back-and-forth conversation with someone. However, it is good practice to sign off on emails that are the first or last in a conversation or when communicating with someone for the first time.

4. Are there any situations where signing off on emails may not be appropriate?

There may be some situations where signing off on emails may not be appropriate, such as when you are communicating with close friends or family members. In these cases, a more casual and personal sign off may be more suitable.

5. Can signing off on emails help to avoid miscommunications?

Yes, signing off on emails can help to avoid miscommunications by providing a clear and polite ending to your message. It can also help to ensure that the recipient understands that the conversation has ended and that they can respond or take action if necessary.