Need assistance(Gussian curvature and differentiable vector fields)

In summary: K = <d(fN)(v_1) \land d(fN)(v_2), N> = <df(v_1)N + f(v_1)dN, df(v_2)N + f(v_2)dN, N>. Next, we can use the properties of the inner product to simplify this expression as <df(v_1)N, df(v_2)N> + <f(v_1)dN, f(v_2)dN> + <df(v_1)N, f(v_2)dN> + <f(v_1)dN, df(v_2)N>. Since the inner product is bil
SuperLouisa90
Need urgent assistance(Gussian curvature and differentiable vector fields)

Hi I have a very difficult problem where I know some of the dots but can't connect them :(

So therefore I hope that there is someone who can assist me (hopefully :))

Homework Statement

Let S be a surface with orientation N. Let [tex]V \subset S[/tex] be an open set in S and let [tex]f: V\subset S \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be any nowhere zero differentiable function in V. Let [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] be two differentiable (tangent) vector fields in V such that at each point of V, [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] and that [tex]v_1 \land v_2 = N[/tex]

Then prove that [tex]K = \frac{<d(fN)(V_1) \land d(fN)(V_2), fN>}{f^3}[/tex]

p.s. there is also a question two but since this is so difficult I live that out for the time being hoping we can get to that later.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I know

Since S has the orientation N that according to do Carmo Geometry book means that it can be covered with a neighbourhood N.

From what I get is that

dN(v1) = cv1 + dv2 and dN(v2) = ev1 + fv2 but how do Carmo goes from that the above is a mystery to me. So therefore I hope there is someone who would help me understand what I am missing ?

Cheers
Louisa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Louisa,

I understand that you are facing difficulties with the problem and I am happy to assist you. Firstly, let's try to understand the notation used in the problem.

V_1 and V_2 are differentiable vector fields, which means that they are functions that assign a vector to each point in V. The notation d(fN) represents the differential of the function fN, which is a linear transformation between tangent spaces.

Now, to prove the given statement, we can start by using the definition of Gaussian curvature K = det(dN). Since we know that v_1 \land v_2 = N, we can substitute dN(v_1) and dN(v_2) in terms of v_1 and v_2. This will give us dN(v_1) \land dN(v_2) = (cv_1 + dv_2) \land (ev_1 + fv_2).

Next, we can use the properties of the exterior product to expand this expression as (cv_1 \land ev_1) + (cv_1 \land fv_2) + (dv_2 \land ev_1) + (dv_2 \land fv_2).

Now, since v_1 and v_2 are differentiable vector fields, we can use the definition of the exterior product to show that this expression is equal to (cv_1 \land ev_1) + (dv_2 \land fv_2).

Finally, we can use the fact that v_1 \land v_2 = N to simplify this expression further as (cv_1 \land ev_1) + (dv_2 \land fv_2) = (cv_1 \land ev_1) + (dv_2 \land fv_2) \land N.

Substituting this in the original statement K = det(dN), we get K = det(dN) = <d(fN)(v_1) \land d(fN)(v_2), N>.

Since we are given that f is a nowhere zero differentiable function, we can use the chain rule to express d(fN) in terms of df and dN. This will give us d(fN)(v_i) = df(v_i)N + f(v_i)dN, where i = 1,2.

Substituting

1. What is Gussian curvature?

Gussian curvature is a mathematical concept that is used to measure the amount of curvature at a particular point on a surface. It is named after mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauß and is denoted by the symbol K.

2. How is Gussian curvature calculated?

Gussian curvature is calculated by taking the product of the principal curvatures at a given point on a surface. The principal curvatures are the maximum and minimum curvatures at that point, and can be found by finding the eigenvalues of the shape operator at that point.

3. What is the significance of Gussian curvature in differential geometry?

Gussian curvature is a fundamental concept in differential geometry as it helps to classify and characterize different types of surfaces. It also has applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is used to understand the behavior of curved surfaces and objects.

4. Can Gussian curvature be positive, negative, or zero?

Yes, Gussian curvature can take on any value - positive, negative, or zero - depending on the shape of the surface. For example, a sphere has a positive Gussian curvature, a saddle shape has a negative Gussian curvature, and a flat plane has a Gussian curvature of zero.

5. How does Gussian curvature relate to differentiable vector fields?

Gussian curvature is closely related to differentiable vector fields as it can be used to determine the existence and properties of differentiable vector fields on a given surface. In particular, the Gussian curvature determines the behavior of the vector field near points of high curvature.