Spivak Calculus Proof: exponents distribute

In summary, the problem is to prove that (a/b)/(c/d)=(ad)/(bc) using only the listed properties of exponents: association, commutation, identity, additive and multiplicative inverses, distribution, trichotomy law, and closure. The solution involves understanding the statement as (ab^-1)(c^(-1)d)=(ad)(c^-1b^-1) and then using commutation and association. Mathematical induction is not needed.
selfteaching9

Homework Statement

Prove:
[itex]
$\left(ab^{-1}\right)\left(cd^{-1}\right)^{-1}=\left(ad\right)\left(cb\right)^{-1}$.
[/itex]

I know how to distribute exponents to get both sides to look identical...

Homework Equations

...but a step in the solution requires distributing exponents. But how do you prove that you can distribute exponents using only:
  1. association for addition and multiplication
  2. commutation for addition and multiplication
  3. identity for addition and multiplication
  4. additive and multiplicative inverses
  5. distribution
  6. trichotomy law
  7. closure for addition and multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is presented before mathematical induction is introduced, so I would like to solve it without its use. But here is my attempt at induction:

P(m) = (a^n)^m=a^(n*m)
P(1) = (a^n)^1=a^n
P(k+1)=(a^n)^(k+1)=a^(n*k+n*1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Math induction really doesn't seem called for here.

Can you replace ab-1 by (a)(1/b)? Presumably if you have expressions with negative exponents, you can replace them by reciprocals with positive exponents.

If not, you might use the fact that cd-1 and (cd-1)-1 are multiplicative inverses (i.e., multiply both sides by cd-1).

Thanks Mark. I think I figured it out. It turns out I was creating my own problem all along.

The actual statement Spivak wants me to prove is: (a/b)/(c/d)=(ad)/(bc)

By defining this as: (ab^-1)(cd^-1)^-1=(ad)(cb)^-1, I created my own problem. All I have to do to "distribute exponents" is to understand the statement as:

(ab^-1)(c^(-1)d)=(ad)(c^-1b^-1)

after this, it's just commutation and association

1. What is the Spivak Calculus Proof for exponents distributing?

The Spivak Calculus Proof for exponents distributing is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between exponents and multiplication. It states that when two numbers with the same base are multiplied together, the exponents can be added to get the result. This is known as the exponent rule for multiplication.

2. How does the Spivak Calculus Proof for exponents distributing work?

The proof uses algebraic manipulation and properties of exponents to show that when two numbers with the same base are multiplied, the exponents can be added. It starts by writing the numbers in expanded form, then rearranges and combines like terms to get the final result.

3. Why is understanding the Spivak Calculus Proof for exponents distributing important?

Understanding this proof is important because it allows us to simplify expressions with exponents and perform calculations more efficiently. It also serves as the basis for more complex exponent rules and can be applied in various areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can the Spivak Calculus Proof for exponents distributing be used for any base?

Yes, the proof holds true for any base as long as the exponents are the same. This is because the properties of exponents apply to all real numbers and not just specific values.

5. Are there any other proofs for exponents distributing besides the Spivak Calculus Proof?

Yes, there are other proofs for this concept, such as the proof using the binomial theorem or the proof using logarithms. However, the Spivak Calculus Proof is one of the most commonly used and easiest to understand.