Proving -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for a positive even integer n such that x^n = x for every x in a ring R. The method used for n = 2 does not work for noncommutative rings, but a different method is suggested and the conversation concludes with a clarification about the use of commutativity in the proof.
samkolb

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring and suppose there exists a positive even integer n such that x^n = x for

every x in R. Show that -x = x for every x in R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the case where n = 2.

Let x be in R.

(x+x)^2= x+x = 2x,

(x+x)^2 = 4x^2 = 4x.

So 4x = 2x and 2x = 0. Done.

I tried using this same method when n = 4 and got nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex] n = 2k [/tex]. What's [tex] (-x)^{2k} [/tex]?

(By the way, the proof you have for [tex] n = 2 [/tex] doesn't work for noncommutative rings. The above hint suggests a method that does. Can you see why?)

Thanks for the hint. That works. But why does my proof for n=2 not work for noncommutative rings? Since the only terms in the expansion of (x+x)^2 are powers of x, I don't think I ever used commutativity.

Since the only terms in the expansion of (x+x)^2 are powers of x, I don't think I ever used commutativity.

Yeah...you're right. I read your work as [tex] (x + x)^2 = (2x)^2 = 2^2 x^2 = 4 x^2 [/tex]; my only point was that in a noncommutative ring, [tex] (ab)^k \neq a^k b^k [/tex] in general. However, I suppose it's true that [tex] [(n \cdot 1) b]^k = (n^k \cdot 1) b^k [/tex] for natural numbers [tex] n [/tex].

What does it mean to prove -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R?

Proving -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R means that we are showing that a negative number can be equal to its positive counterpart when multiplied by a positive even integer in the set of real numbers.

Why is it important to prove -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R?

It is important to prove this statement because it helps us understand the properties of negative numbers and how they can behave in mathematical operations. It also allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions in various fields of science and engineering.

How can we prove -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R?

There are several ways to prove this statement, but one common method is to use mathematical induction. This involves proving the statement for a base case, such as n = 2, and then showing that if it holds for n = k, it also holds for n = k+2. This process is repeated until we have proven the statement for all positive even integers.

What are some real-world applications of proving -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R?

This statement has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the concept of negative numbers is essential in understanding electricity and magnetism. Proving -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R can also be used in calculating profit and loss in business transactions.

Are there any exceptions to proving -x = x with Positive Even Integer n in R?

No, there are no exceptions to this statement. It holds true for all positive even integers n in the set of real numbers. However, it is important to note that this statement only applies to positive even integers, and not all real numbers.