Probability - Cominations and Integer Valued Vectors

In summary, the problem asks for the probability that three people who check into five different hotels in a town each check into a different hotel. The solution involves finding the number of possible combinations and dividing it by the total number of ways for three individuals to choose from five hotels. This simplifies to 10/35, which is approximately 0.48. However, a simpler approach is to use the formula P(5,3)/5^3, where P(5,3) represents the number of permutations. The final answer is the product of the probabilities that each person checks into a different hotel, which is the same as the solution provided by Random Variable.
AsianMan
This problem comes from Sheldon Ross's book "A First Course in Probability (6th ed)."

There are 5 hotels in a certain town. If 3 people check into hotels in a day, what is the probability that they each check into a different hotel?

Attempt at a solution:

There are 5C3 = 10 different combinations of hotels where each individual person picks a different hotel.

I also decided that there were 7C4 = 35 possible ways for 3 individuals to choose from the 5 hotels, if more than 1 can stay in the same hotel. I got this answer because there are (n+r-1)C(r-1) distinct nonnegative integer-valued vectors (x1,x2,...,xr) satisfying x1 + x2 + ... + xr = n, where n = 3 and r = 5.

Therefore, I got 10/35 as my answer, but the answer is actually .48 (rounded?)

Interestingly, I got very close this answer mistakenly at first by dividing 5C3 by 7C2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your'e making it too complicated

[tex] \frac {P(5,3)}{5^{3}} [/tex]

The first person arrives and checks into any hotel. The second person arrives and checks into a hotel. What is the probability that person checks into a different hotel? The third person arrives. What is the probability this person checks into yet a different hotel? The probability that they check into three different hotels is the product of those two probabilities.. This is exactly the same as Random Variable gives- although, Random Variable, it would be better not to just "give" answers. Especially in the "coursework and homework sections".

Wow, I'm embarrassed.

Thanks guys!

BTW, is there any way to do it the way that I was doing it?

1. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of selecting objects from a larger group, but they differ in the order in which the objects are selected. Combinations are selections of objects where the order does not matter, while permutations are selections where the order does matter.

2. How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. This can also be written as nCk, where k is the number of objects not being selected.

3. What is the significance of integer valued vectors in probability?

Integer valued vectors are used in probability to represent the possible outcomes of a random experiment. Each integer in the vector represents a different outcome, and the sum of all the integers in the vector represents the total number of possible outcomes.

4. How do you find the probability of a specific outcome using integer valued vectors?

To find the probability of a specific outcome, you need to divide the number of ways that outcome can occur by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you have an integer valued vector with 6 possible outcomes and you want to find the probability of getting a 4, you would divide 1 (the number of ways to get a 4) by 6 (the total number of outcomes), resulting in a probability of 1/6.

5. Can integer valued vectors be used in real-life situations?

Yes, integer valued vectors can be used in real-life situations to model and predict outcomes in situations where there are a finite number of possibilities. They can be used in fields such as statistics, economics, and genetics to analyze data and make informed decisions based on probability.