Which Introductory Statistics Book Offers a Balance of Rigor and Practicality?

In summary, there are a few options for introductory statistics books with varying levels of rigor. The Practice of Statistics is commonly used in schools, while Mathematical Statistics with Applications is a good option for those looking for a more rigorous approach. Another recommendation is Head First Statistics, which may not seem serious at first but is highly praised for its effectiveness. For a more advanced and application-based approach, Introduction to Mathematical Statistics by Hogg and Craig is a good choice. However, it may not be as rigorous in terms of formal probability theory.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
any ideas on an introductory statistics book with a good deal of rigor?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm I don't know about rigor. But they use this one at my school: The Practice of Statistics.

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/tps3e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0

It's not that rigorous by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematical Statistics with Applications, 7th edition by Wackerley, Mendenhall, and Scheaffer

I know you asked for rigor, and I don't really know what any good books are for that. I used Mathematical Statistics with Applications by Wackerly/Mendenhall/Scheaffer in school, and it was a good book. Not great or bad.

A good introduction to statistics and probability is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0596527586/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Do not write this book off based upon its look of silliness (just look at its reviews). The Head First series are fantastic books (I learned Java and HTML from them). My girlfriend used this book to supplement a mathematical statistics course in her third year, so it obviously has some helpful material. It definitely isn't your standard textbook and it is best to read through it. I cannot recommend the Head First series enough, but I'm not for sure how much rigor (in terms of proofs?) you are wanting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if the OP is looking for a mathematical statistics book. Reconciling introductory statistics with real mathematical rigor is not always clear. If I'm not mistaken, many mathematical statistics texts will presume familiarity with advanced calculus or mathematical analysis. Thus, if you've never really studied statistics before (beyond really basic stuff), you might want to look at something more basic than what has been prescribed. Of course, introductory statistics books are usually not mathematically rigorous in the sense that you probably won't see many proofs. But again, I think (though I am not sure) that more rigorous treatments require an appreciable amount of mathematical background.

Introduction to Mathematical Statistics by Hogg and Craig is what we used for our course on Probability and Statistics. But this was a course primarily aimed at application -- for engineers. So if you are looking for formal Probability Theory, you may not be satisfied with this book.

1. What is the purpose of an introductory statistics book?

An introductory statistics book is designed to provide a basic understanding of statistical concepts and methods. It covers the fundamental principles of data collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation.

2. Who should read an introductory statistics book?

Anyone who wants to gain a basic understanding of statistics can benefit from reading an introductory statistics book. It is commonly used by students in various fields, such as social sciences, business, and natural sciences.

3. What topics are typically covered in an introductory statistics book?

Introductory statistics books usually cover topics such as descriptive statistics, probability, sampling, hypothesis testing, and correlation. They may also include basic concepts in regression analysis, ANOVA, and nonparametric statistics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading an introductory statistics book?

Most introductory statistics books assume a basic understanding of mathematics, including algebra and some knowledge of probability. Some books may also require familiarity with basic computer software, such as Microsoft Excel or SPSS.

5. How can an introductory statistics book be used?

An introductory statistics book can be used as a self-study guide, a supplement to a course, or as a reference for specific statistical concepts. It can also be used to gain a general understanding of statistics before diving into more advanced topics.