Solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates

In summary, Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates is a partial differential equation used to model potential fields in three-dimensional space. Its solution is derived using separation of variables and has applications in various fields, but is limited to problems with spherical symmetry and linear systems.
jdmo
I have a question about the general solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates, which takes the form of a linear combination of the spherical harmonics. In my problem, I am solving for the potential within two concentric spherical shells, each with its own conductivity. Now, since the outer volume does not contain the origin, am I right to assume that the coefficients B_{lm} do not vanish? For the inner volume, which does contain the origin, am I right in assuming that the coefficients B_{lm} do vanish?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. In between the spheres, neither A nor B vanishes.

I can confirm that your assumptions are correct. In the general solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates, the coefficients B_{lm} represent the contribution of each spherical harmonic to the overall potential. Since the outer volume does not contain the origin, the coefficients B_{lm} do not vanish as there is a non-zero potential at those points. However, for the inner volume where the origin is included, the coefficients B_{lm} do vanish as the potential is assumed to be zero at the origin. This is a fundamental property of the spherical harmonics and is essential in solving problems involving concentric spherical shells with different conductivities. I hope this clarifies your question.

1. What is Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates?

Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the potential field in three-dimensional space. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as electrostatics and fluid flow. The equation is given by ∇^2φ = 0, where φ represents the potential field and ∇^2 is the Laplace operator.

2. What is the solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates?

The solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates is given by φ(r,θ,φ) = Σ(l=0 to ∞) [A_l r^l + B_l r^-(l+1)]P_l(cosθ), where r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, φ is the azimuthal angle, A_l and B_l are constants, and P_l(cosθ) is the Legendre polynomial of degree l.

3. How is the solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates derived?

The solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates is derived using separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form φ(r,θ,φ) = R(r)Θ(θ)Φ(φ), substituting it into the equation, and then solving for each individual function. Boundary conditions are also used to determine the specific values of the constants in the solution.

4. What are the applications of the solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates?

The solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates has various applications in science and engineering, including in electrostatics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in geophysics to model the gravitational potential of the Earth and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution of Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates?

The solution to Laplace's equation in spherical co-ordinates is limited to problems with spherical symmetry. It cannot be used to solve problems with irregular boundaries or non-spherical geometries. In addition, the solution only applies to linear systems and does not account for non-linear effects.