Better in my eye than in my camera

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera Eye
In summary, the conversation revolved around a crepuscular rainbow captured in a photo, with the rainbow having spokes and fading away after 30 minutes. The suggestion was made to share the photo and description with Dr. Nemiroff of APOD, and the conversation also touched upon the quality of the photo and the need for a better camera.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This was really cool in-person. I didn't take the time to check my camera settings, so it didn't record as well as I'd have liked.

I am calling it a crepuscular rainbow. This is a pic of sun beams (crepuscular rays) streaming through the clouds - into a mist of raindrops. So, this tiny section of the rainbow has spokes.

A half-hour and 50km later, it faded away, and then shortly after, it's counterpart appeared in the other corner of the sky.

Attachments

• LJ20090718rainbow.jpg
    LJ20090718rainbow.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds cool. Can you host a higher resolution version of it somewhere?

You should send this along with your description to Dr. Nemiroff of APOD.http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/"

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Sounds cool. Can you host a higher resolution version of it somewhere?
I could but little point really. I deliberately scaled it down because it's too grainy.

jimmysnyder said:
You should send this along with your description to Dr. Nemiroff of APOD.http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/"
Ooh! I hadn't even thought of that. Now I really wish I'd gotten a better pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Better in my eye than in my camera

You should do something about that; it sounds as if it would hurt to have that in your eye.

:biggrin:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I caught a good one just yesterday. Still need to get a good camera.

IMG00086.jpg

1. How does the phrase "Better in my eye than in my camera" relate to science?

The phrase "Better in my eye than in my camera" relates to science because it highlights the limitations of technology in capturing and interpreting the world around us. As scientists, we understand that our own senses, particularly our vision, can provide a more nuanced and accurate understanding of our surroundings than a camera can.

2. Why is it important for scientists to use both their own observations and technology in their research?

It is important for scientists to use both their own observations and technology in their research because each method has its own strengths and limitations. By combining both approaches, scientists can gain a more comprehensive and reliable understanding of their subject matter.

3. Can you give an example of when relying solely on technology can lead to inaccurate results in scientific research?

Yes, an example of this is in the field of astronomy. While telescopes and other instruments can provide valuable data about distant objects in the universe, they can also be limited by factors such as atmospheric conditions and technical malfunctions. In this case, relying solely on technology can lead to inaccurate or incomplete understanding of the celestial bodies being studied.

4. Why is it important for scientists to constantly evaluate and improve upon technology used in research?

It is important for scientists to constantly evaluate and improve upon technology used in research because as our understanding of the world evolves, so too must our tools and methods. By regularly assessing and enhancing our technology, we can ensure that it remains relevant and effective in aiding our scientific inquiries.

5. How can the phrase "Better in my eye than in my camera" apply to everyday life?

The phrase "Better in my eye than in my camera" can apply to everyday life by reminding us to appreciate and trust our own observations and perceptions. In a world where technology is becoming increasingly prevalent, it is important to remember the value of our own senses and experiences in understanding the world around us.