Does any here have experience with antidepressants?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of antidepressants and the potential side effects and risks associated with them. The class of SSRI drugs is commonly prescribed and has been effective for many people, but there are also more serious and potentially harmful medications available. It is important to be assessed by a physician before starting any antidepressant and to carefully consider the individual's age and other factors. Some individuals have found success with alternative supplements such as fish oil and DHEA, but these should also be discussed with a doctor. The conversation also mentions the cost and potential dependence on antidepressants, as well as the varying reactions individuals may have to them. The decision to seek treatment with antidepressants is a personal one and should be based on the severity of the
Winzer
Does any here have experience with antidepressants? How long have you taken them? Do they make it harder for you to think? How effective have they been for you?

Biology news on Phys.org

There are a plethora of anti-depressants on the market. Some of the more serious ones do affect ones ability to think clearly, generally these are reserved for people who have more profound clinical disorders, like bi-polar disorder.

The class most frequently prescribed are SSRI (Selective Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors). For many, these have proven to be very effective for chronic depression with few side-effects. It does take time for this class of anti-depressant to work and finding the most effective dosing level. The MAO class are more serious and require closer monitoring, have more side-effects and are contraindicated with other medications.

When considering taking an anti-depressant, its very important that chronic depression is assessed by a physician as some prescription medication can cause depression. Ones age is also important, SSRIs are sometimes not appropriate for individuals who are younger and for some who are elderly. An increase in suicides and other profound problems are associated with some anti-depressive medications in particular age groups. Physician assessment is very important in determining what kind of anti-depressant is appropriate for an individual as well as assessment of the nature of the depression and its appropriate therapy.

I've never really suffered from depression, but have been taking Fish oil for years and more recently DHEA as dietary supplements. Among many other positive things, studies have found that both improve ones mood and relieve depression. AFAIK, neither have been linked to clouding ones thinking.

Nan said:
The class most frequently prescribed are SSRI (Selective Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors). For many, these have proven to be very effective for chronic depression with few side-effects. It does take time for this class of anti-depressant to work and finding the most effective dosing level. The MAO class are more serious and require closer monitoring, have more side-effects and are contraindicated with other medications.

I have recently been prescribed something like this. I endorse Nan's comment. It's something that you do with the help of your doctor and with proper supervision... not least because if you need to take them then they most likely should be only a part of dealing with whatever is going on.

The advice I have been given is to be sure you don't suddenly stop taking them if you feel better. In my case, it was part of helping me get back on my feet and able to address a few other issues that have knocked me very badly over the last few years. So it is not simply a clinical condition for me. Every person's situation will be different. The aim for me is to get a whole bunch of stuff back on track, and hopefully come off the medication somewhere down the track as well. I am in regular meetings with professional help in this project; and have a family behind me as well that helps a lot. At this stage, I think the anti-depressants have helped me and made be better able to take some other steps involved. But it was prescribed, and it is only one part of the whole mental health plan.

Cheers -- sylas

Thank you all for the informative feedback.

I have had thoughts about going to the doctors and seeing if prescribed antidepressants would be right for me. But I am hesitant for the following reasons:
1) Side effects-- I will be a senior in my University's physics program. I fear that if I start taking antidepressants it could effect my academic performance through clouded thoughts and constant sleepiness.
2) Cost-- Antidepressants don't look that cheap according to: http://www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/2pager_Antidepress.pdf. This my not seem like a lot to most people--to me it is. Being a student finance would be difficult.
3)Dependence

Winzer said:
Thank you all for the informative feedback.

I have had thoughts about going to the doctors and seeing if prescribed antidepressants would be right for me. But I am hesitant for the following reasons:
1) Side effects-- I will be a senior in my University's physics program. I fear that if I start taking antidepressants it could effect my academic performance through clouded thoughts and constant sleepiness.
2) Cost-- Antidepressants don't look that cheap according to: http://www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/2pager_Antidepress.pdf. This my not seem like a lot to most people--to me it is. Being a student finance would be difficult.
3)Dependence
Talk these over with your doctor, some prescription medicines have less side effects than others and you should always start off at a low dose and gradually increase. Most are generic now and places like Walmart will fill your prescription for $4. SSRI's aren't addictive.

Last edited:

Evo said:
Talk these over with your doctor, some prescription medicines have less side effects than others and you should always start off at a low dose and gradually increase. Most are generic now and places like Walmart will fill your prescription for $4. SSRI's aren't addictive.

define addictive. there are withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks again everyone.

There is also another outcome I fear that draws influence from a friend. My friend started antidepressants while ago. At first she seemed to be getting better. But the prescriptions triggered some unforeseen reactions. She developed some other disorders like paranoia. She now has to take a host of other medications to combat these reactions.

It seems to me that antidepressants carry a lot of risk. Do we really understand brain chemistry that well that we should be altering it?

Caveat Emptor

One View:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2265309

But also consider:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/358/3/252

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/b...l=1&adxnnlx=1252137947-hJLdO9QnAI0gA/mpJNL1AA

This is a complex issue. Individual reactions to anti-depressants are varied.

I think the question on whether or not to get treatment really depends on the severity of one's problem. If you have good days and bad days, you're probably better off not going down that road. On the other hand, depression that is constant must be dealt with through medication, although it can often be a long and difficult road to find the right one (ten years for me).

If you are going to seek treatment, the best advice I can give you is find a good doctor.
There is a world of difference between a competent caring doctor and a guy who only sees you as a dollar sign.

Last edited:

Excellent responses here folks. Not to be flip but those who are college age, taking demanding courses are stressed which can sometimes lead to depression. Its a difficult time in life. Seeing a physician to assess the level of stress and depression is key. For some their college years are a golden time; for me, I wouldn't re-live that time for all the gold in the world.

A recent physorg article suggested that analytical thinking leads to depression, that depression is a way to solve problems (not so sure about that). It also stated that young adults often experience rather profound depressive states. Its no wonder, there are many stresses at that age both social and otherwise. I personally experienced a horrible and profound depression while in college stemming from situational experiences and from stress. It is a time when there are many rapid life changes beyond securing an education for ones future.

If you are concerned about how an antidepressant might affect you, talk to your physician about it and if recommended, schedule taking it for the first time during a break in course work. Know too that an anti-depressant isn't a panacea. You will still have downs but they will not be as long or as profound; you'll be able to cope better when you do have downs. The world composed of yin/yang, you cannot know happiness and joy if you have not known the opposite.

Also know this, this too shall pass. Everyone on the planet experiences depression, it is a matter of how profound it is, how long it lasts and if it interferes with ones abilities to perform and engage in life.

We are a society that wants immediate solutions to problems; the magic pill to mitigate everything troublesome.

Depression can lead to personal growth and strength although it is a painful process. You are right, our knowledge of the brain, brain chemistry is not 100% and additionally, we are all individuals who will react differently. Perspective, introspection and meditation are also ways to mitigate depression but requires some discipline and work. You may want to explore those as an alternative to medication if your individual situation could benefit. Regular exercise can also help depression. Getting quality sleep regularly (tough in college I know) is also helpful.

I wish you the best of luck. Depression is an unwelcome old friend of mine, but my stages in life also included the opposite, with long periods of contentment.

Nan said:
Also know this, this too shall pass. Everyone on the planet experiences depression, it is a matter of how profound it is, how long it lasts and if it interferes with ones abilities to perform and engage in life
QUOTE]

And this is where language gets us in trouble. There is a pretty significant difference between the "depression" you are talking about and the condition some people experience. Although of course, nothing lasts forever, there is a good chance major depression, left untreated, will last until the death of the affected organism.

Galteeth: You are correct and why physician assessment is critical for objective analysis and the appropriate treatment. All depression isn't created equal. As I stated before, some depression is a symptom of clinically profound conditions requiring life-long treatment.

This is a very complex issue with many facets, some which are still not well understood and vexing.

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

A query I have: is there a relationship with depression and anxiety?

Proton Soup said:
define addictive. there are withdrawal symptoms.

I agree. I don't think there is enough evidence yet from people who are discontinuing treatment after long-term use to know if it is really addictive. The difficulty of discontinuing for those who do with regard to withdrawal symptoms sure does suggest that addiction may be occurring.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...kpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed"

As with any medication, it should be used under close supervision of a qualified physician. With any sort of medication that acts on the brain, I would strongly suggest that a qualified physician be defined as either a psychiatrist or neurologist, and NOT just your regular GP.

Because depression is more of a syndrome than a disease (i.e., defined by symptoms, not by mechanism), selecting medications to treat it is often a shot in the dark, and based more on whether or not you respond to them and whether or not there are side effects that are tolerable or not. It can take considerable time to find the right dose and drug to treat someone...and sometimes none of them work. And, because of all the potentially varied underlying causes for depression, and the different mechanisms through which the drugs treat it, it seems reasonable that susceptibility to addiction may vary too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Below I report on some negatives: (1) A side-effect (2) Complete loss of effectiveness (3) Terrible withdrawal.

I have been taking an SSRI (celexa) for many years under the regular supervision of a psychiatrist. It initially worked, extreme teeth grinding (my jaw would hurt) being the most severe side-effect. I still grind my teeth though not as severely. Then the SSRI began to lose effectiveness. This is probably because the brain reacts to the extra serotonin by reducing the sensitivity of serotonin receptors. Then in a failed attempt to switch to another SSRI, I ended up with zero medication (long story). Then, with a delayed reaction, withdrawal symptoms started, getting progressively worse: (a) Crying on a dime (b) Premature ejaculation (c) Restless legs---a pulling sensation in the legs which hinders sleep (d) Sense of detachment, panic attacks, agoraphobia. I would not wish these on my worst enemy. I was promptly put back on celexa. I guess you could say I am addicted to it, and it doesn't seem to be effective anymore.

I believe that many types of depression can be treated with diet, supplements, moderate exercise, therapy. In some cases a change in scene can help. I wish I had found a doctor (and could still find one) whose first course of action is to try these things (when applicable) and then, only as a last resort, use medication.

Last edited:

There is a strong relationship between Depression and Anxiety.

Typically, people who suffer from anxiety tend to become depressed due to constant stress from their anxiousness (duh; sorry, didn't mean to be redundant) which has adverse affects on their personality, mental health, etc.

A great example would be the college student reference above.

Anti-depressants should be a last resort. It is hard to stop taking them, as when you stop, your depression is back and even stronger. Your better off finding solutions by examining your problem, your emotions, and figure out what's wrong in your life. It can often be that you just have some things to learn about life, and need to broaden your perspective. Find out what makes it worse, and what makes things better. For example, anger, fear, jealousy, shame etc. Don't encourage yourself to cry or feel bad. A lot of people like to sit and feel sorry for yourself, and add up all the reasons. This is the worst thing to do, so it is simple, don't do it. Why should you punish yourself? Find things which keep you motivated, realize that many many people have it worse than you. What about people who were in NAZI concentration camps, aren't you glad your not there. How happy they would feel to be in your shoes. Even when things are bad, no reason to waste, and throw away what you do have.

jreelawg said:
What about people who were in NAZI concentration camps, aren't you glad your not there. How happy they would feel to be in your shoes. Even when things are bad, no reason to waste, and throw away what you do have.

I think this is a big misunderstanding people have when it comes to these types of problems. Depression isn't about anything. It is not a reaction to external circumstances.
"How happy they would feel to be in your shoes." This is a meaningless statement in this context, because if they were happy, THEY COULD NOT be in your shoes. For reasons that are not understood, the parts of the brain that regulate mood and emotion stop functioning, and your brain becomes unable to produce the subjective states of "happiness", "pleasure" and others. One who is in a state of biological depression is unresponsive to stimulus that would make normal people feel certain emotions. It doesn't matter if you're at disneyland with the hottest babe in the world and a million dollars. It's all the same. It's very difficult to explain in subjective terms. The best analogy I can think of: imagine audio feedback, that screechy whiny sound. If that was being played at a constant level, all the time in your ears, you couldn't enjoy music in the background, it would be completely drowned out. It's sort of like your brain, or at least the part of that is responsible for emotion, is doing that feedback thing all the time. When antidepressants work, they sort of drop the noise level, not that it's gone completely, but that it's more manageable.

Galteeth said:
I think this is a big misunderstanding people have when it comes to these types of problems. Depression isn't about anything. It is not a reaction to external circumstances.
"How happy they would feel to be in your shoes." This is a meaningless statement in this context, because if they were happy, THEY COULD NOT be in your shoes. For reasons that are not understood, the parts of the brain that regulate mood and emotion stop functioning, and your brain becomes unable to produce the subjective states of "happiness", "pleasure" and others. One who is in a state of biological depression is unresponsive to stimulus that would make normal people feel certain emotions. It doesn't matter if you're at disneyland with the hottest babe in the world and a million dollars. It's all the same. It's very difficult to explain in subjective terms. The best analogy I can think of: imagine audio feedback, that screechy whiny sound. If that was being played at a constant level, all the time in your ears, you couldn't enjoy music in the background, it would be completely drowned out. It's sort of like your brain, or at least the part of that is responsible for emotion, is doing that feedback thing all the time. When antidepressants work, they sort of drop the noise level, not that it's gone completely, but that it's more manageable.

That all depends. I would bet that for most people who are depressed, it is a result of life factors, perspective, and attitude. Many people are just lonely, iscolated, maybe ashamed. Some people have diseases, some people lost loved ones. Some people are over worked, over stressed. Many people who are depressed are dealing with guilt. Some people are struggling to make enough money.

My belief is that no matter who you are, depressed, not depressed, whatever. There are things you can do, and actions you can take to try and lead a happier life.

I went through a period in my life where I was very depressed. I was so depressed, that I couldn't fall asleep at night, and didn't want to wake up in the morning, I would sleep most the day, had little motivation to do much of anything. For me, while at school, I found little interest in most of my classes. I had no creative outlet. What helped a lot was to take up woodworking as a hobby which eventually led to being my job. For me, it is something that makes the time fly, a goal, something to focus on, something to keep my wheels turning. Never let your mind go stagnant. Find something to focus on. There is much you can learn about life that can help. Research shows that therapy, talking with someone trying to work out your problems is much more effective on the long term than drugs.

This is why depression is such a complex issue. Some people can overcome major depression through their own will, perspective and abilities. Depression is a highly individualized problem and why physician assessment is required. Stress/anxiety can become so overwhelming and profound for some people it produces physiological problems in addition to the psychological ones, become a roadblock to reaching goals and functioning especially during critical times in life.

One cannot minimize what another may be experiencing, each situation is unique. When you are ill with the flu and think about those who are ill with cancer, it doesn't mean that you are less ill or miserable with the flu! But I do agree sometimes perspective can help people cope with depression.

Eating well, getting regular and good quality sleep, routine exercise, meditation for some, can all help on the road to recovery from depression. A good support system and talking it over can also help. But for some people, these prove inadequate, that is when medication can help if a physician finds the person meets the criteria. It doesn't mean life-long therapy for everyone but can serve as a bridge to help cope. As I stated before, SSRIs aren't a panacea but merely makes the depression less profound so one can cope better.

A physician assessment also is important to discover it there maybe underlying causes for depression, like other medications or physical problem. If the depression is long-standing and/or is a part of a symptom complex-then the physician can identify if the depression is part of a more profound problem requiring treatment. For example if there is a thyroid dysfunction, it can produce depression; if there is a family history illnesses like bi-polar disorders; then depression could be a symptom of a larger problem. Assessment of depression requires an objective assessment from a professional who can then make recommendations and provide choices.

Nan said:
This is why depression is such a complex issue. Some people can overcome major depression through their own will, perspective and abilities. Depression is a highly individualized problem and why physician assessment is required. Stress/anxiety can become so overwhelming and profound for some people it produces physiological problems in addition to the psychological ones, become a roadblock to reaching goals and functioning especially during critical times in life.

One cannot minimize what another may be experiencing, each situation is unique. When you are ill with the flu and think about those who are ill with cancer, it doesn't mean that you are less ill or miserable with the flu! But I do agree sometimes perspective can help people cope with depression.

Eating well, getting regular and good quality sleep, routine exercise, meditation for some, can all help on the road to recovery from depression. A good support system and talking it over can also help. But for some people, these prove inadequate, that is when medication can help if a physician finds the person meets the criteria. It doesn't mean life-long therapy for everyone but can serve as a bridge to help cope. As I stated before, SSRIs aren't a panacea but merely makes the depression less profound so one can cope better.

A physician assessment also is important to discover it there maybe underlying causes for depression, like other medications or physical problem. If the depression is long-standing and/or is a part of a symptom complex-then the physician can identify if the depression is part of a more profound problem requiring treatment. For example if there is a thyroid dysfunction, it can produce depression; if there is a family history illnesses like bi-polar disorders; then depression could be a symptom of a larger problem. Assessment of depression requires an objective assessment from a professional who can then make recommendations and provide choices.

I agree. For some people, it is worth it to take anti-depressants. But your doctor alone may not be the right person to make the assessment. In the local clinic, one of the happiest people I know was there for some reason and mentioned he was tense. The doctor without any real evaluation recommended prozac. He told the doctor he isn't depressed.

Some doctors for some reason want to prescribe anti-depressants to just about anyone, and like in any profession, there are a lot of crackpots out there. This is why I think people should take it a little more serious, and see a therapist, maybe a few, for a while, explain your situation, how you feel, and then, if you really need anti-depressants, then make the decision. Even so, I hear that therapy and anti-depressants together is usually much more effective than just anti-depressants.

Last edited:

jreelawg said:
That all depends. I would bet that for most people who are depressed, it is a result of life factors, perspective, and attitude. Many people are just lonely, iscolated, maybe ashamed. Some people have diseases, some people lost loved ones. Some people are over worked, over stressed. Many people who are depressed are dealing with guilt. Some people are struggling to make enough money.

My belief is that no matter who you are, depressed, not depressed, whatever. There are things you can do, and actions you can take to try and lead a happier life.

I went through a period in my life where I was very depressed. I was so depressed, that I couldn't fall asleep at night, and didn't want to wake up in the morning, I would sleep most the day, had little motivation to do much of anything. For me, while at school, I found little interest in most of my classes. I had no creative outlet. What helped a lot was to take up woodworking as a hobby which eventually led to being my job. For me, it is something that makes the time fly, a goal, something to focus on, something to keep my wheels turning. Never let your mind go stagnant. Find something to focus on. There is much you can learn about life that can help. Research shows that therapy, talking with someone trying to work out your problems is much more effective on the long term than drugs.

You may well be right, jreelawg. But it takes a skilled diagnostician to discern the difference between externally caused and internally caused depression, imo. Unfortunately, many physicians (in the US at least) have little time in their schedules to delve into someone's personal life and problems. An Rx is the quick solution, for better or worse.

Oh and btw, I think woodworking rocks :smile:.

jreelawg said:
Anti-depressants should be a last resort. It is hard to stop taking them, as when you stop, your depression is back and even stronger. Your better off finding solutions by examining your problem, your emotions, and figure out what's wrong in your life. It can often be that you just have some things to learn about life, and need to broaden your perspective. Find out what makes it worse, and what makes things better. For example, anger, fear, jealousy, shame etc. Don't encourage yourself to cry or feel bad. A lot of people like to sit and feel sorry for yourself, and add up all the reasons. This is the worst thing to do, so it is simple, don't do it. Why should you punish yourself? Find things which keep you motivated, realize that many many people have it worse than you. What about people who were in NAZI concentration camps, aren't you glad your not there. How happy they would feel to be in your shoes. Even when things are bad, no reason to waste, and throw away what you do have.
I will disagree here. Sometimes all it takes is an antidepressant for a short while to help a person get over a setback in their life. I know many people that were helped through a depressed period with antidepressants and were able to get off of them once the period finished. Don't deny yourself these medications that can help you.

It's medications for anxiety (SSRI's that cannot be stopped). This is because the anxiety is usually due to a chemical imbalance that has no quick fix and in fact can't be fixed at all, but just controlled.

Last edited:

Evo said:
I will disagree here. Sometimes all it takes is an antidepressant for a short while to help a person get over a setback in their life. I know many people that were helped through a depressed period with antidepressants and were able to get off of them once the period finished. Don't deny yourself these medications that can help you.

It's medications for anxiety (SSRI's that cannot be stopped). This is because the anxiety is usually due to a chemical imbalance that has no quick fix and in fact can't be fixed at all, but just controlled.

On the other hand, it should be noted medications do carry side effects and do fundamentally alter brain chemistry. Depending on the person, the trade-offs may not be worth it. It very much depends on the individual, and the hamilton score is a very crude tool (which is also somewhat biased to score the recently depressed higher, i.e. with questions like "have you noticed recent changes?")

The phrase "chemical imbalance" is an interesting one. Although it is certainly literally true, it conveys and idea that the underlying mechanisms of depression and recovery are well understood. They're not.

http://www.touchneurology.com/articles/looking-beyond-monoamine-hypothesis

Last edited:

SSRIs can be stopped, but with the supervision of a physician. Just as the initial dosing is gradual so too is the process of coming off SSRIs-a slow reduction. Anxiety is another issue, it can be associated with major depression or can also be a stand alone problem. It too can be produced from physiological problems rather than mental. The level of anxiety and how it affects ones daily life is part of the assessment process. Everyone has anxiety, anxiety is part of our lives, but it becomes abnormal when instead of being a productive part of living it becomes physiologically profound and limiting to the individual.

Galteeth is correct, the underlying mechanisms of depression and recovery are not well understood. Situational depression affects nearly everyone sometime in their lives from external reasons, like the death of a loved one or traumatic experience, a long lasting illness. Those can erode into something more profound. Others suffer from depression for reasons which are unknown. Still others do have physiological hormonal or chemical imbalances that can be treated successfully and are part of more profound reasons for depression.

Clearly, this society is stressful and complex, ones relative happiness and its source is highly subjective and just as mysterious as depression. Young adults are particularly vulnerable as it is a time in life of many rapid changes in their lives, pressures, social stress and even hormonal influences that are changing. It is a time when success and failures require examination. Social interactions change as they mature emotionally. Most mammals require some degree of stability, young adults are in ever changing situations as they seek to secure their futures, it is a time of a lot of unknowns which for some is very difficult to cope with.

The neurophysiology is complex, and neural function is a sequence of steps/processes, e.g., cellular metabolism, electrochemical function, and chemical neurotransmission between cells. Malfunction in any step/process could result in depression, but each process would be treated differently - and that's why treatment can be complicated.

I have anxiety and depression and take 5-htp. St. Johns Wort also helped but not as much. You can purchase the 100mg tablets cheaply from vitacost or iherb. They are also available over-the-counter at a pharmacy/ nutrition store without your insurance company knowing.

What's best for fighting depression is aerobic exercise and sun exposure. Both of these cause you to produce serotonin. My advice is to exercise every muscle in your body this will add muscle and serotonin-generating capability. Also some doctors contest that a deficiency in vitamins and nutrients (esp D and C, and omega-3 dha ) can lead to depression and anxiety. The serotonin supplements/drugs are an icing on the cake that get you feeling normal.

mark081 said:
I have anxiety and depression and take 5-htp. St. Johns Wort also helped but not as much. You can purchase the 100mg tablets cheaply from vitacost or iherb. They are also available over-the-counter at a pharmacy/ nutrition store without your insurance company knowing.

What's best for fighting depression is aerobic exercise and sun exposure. Both of these cause you to produce serotonin. My advice is to exercise every muscle in your body this will add muscle and serotonin-generating capability. Also some doctors contest that a deficiency in vitamins and nutrients (esp D and C, and omega-3 dha ) can lead to depression and anxiety. The serotonin supplements/drugs are an icing on the cake that get you feeling normal.

Please be careful folks when purchasing OTC supplements. They are not regulated by the FDA and may or may not contain the active ingredients claimed. Many are produced in Asia and other countries without any oversight. There may also be other ingredients in OTC supplements that are either useless but in some cases can be harmful and/or contaminated. Be sure to source your products and be wary of claims that are solely based on "testimonials". Remember, being skeptical isn't always a negative quality. Also understand that some OTC products can interact with prescribed medications, if you have an existing condition, there maybe potential side-effects that are either unknown or unlabeled on the product.

I, too, was wondering what may be best. I don't not suffer from depression, but I do have some history of anxiety, due to stress at work and school. My NP did a few tests and everything was normal about me. (WELL as normal as I have ever been, lol) She told me the best thing to do was just exercise or do some type of yoga. It calms you down and relieves the stress. The last resort would be medicine, tho, if you take meds, it's best to do research before you start taking them.

Nan said:
Please be careful folks when purchasing OTC supplements. They are not regulated by the FDA and may or may not contain the active ingredients claimed. Many are produced in Asia and other countries without any oversight. There may also be other ingredients in OTC supplements that are either useless but in some cases can be harmful and/or contaminated. Be sure to source your products and be wary of claims that are solely based on "testimonials". Remember, being skeptical isn't always a negative quality. Also understand that some OTC products can interact with prescribed medications, if you have an existing condition, there maybe potential side-effects that are either unknown or unlabeled on the product.

yes, people should do some research and look for reputable brands. sometimes, it may even mostly be coming from the same source, like with SAMe, but some resellers do not handle it properly (individual foil packaging to prevent moisture degradation).

and yes, interactions. people taking SSRIs have to be especially careful of using OTC medications that may increase serotonin production (l-tryptophan, 5-htp) or interfere in some other way (st johns wort) because of the danger of serotonin syndrome. those people should definitely discuss it with their doctor. even the SAMe mentioned above can trigger mania in bipolar patients.

mcknia07 said:
I, too, was wondering what may be best. I don't not suffer from depression, but I do have some history of anxiety, due to stress at work and school. My NP did a few tests and everything was normal about me. (WELL as normal as I have ever been, lol) She told me the best thing to do was just exercise or do some type of yoga. It calms you down and relieves the stress. The last resort would be medicine, tho, if you take meds, it's best to do research before you start taking them.

i think the anxiety i suffered was triggered mainly by inner ear inflammation, but the 5-htp did wonders for me and made it possible to drive when the anxiety became overwhelming. but yeah, check with a real doc, and do consider exercise. fight/flight responses are best followed by what they're designed to do, get you moving. it may do some nice things for your brain, too, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurogenesis#Neurogenesis_and_Exercise".

Last edited by a moderator:

Nan said:
SSRIs can be stopped, but with the supervision of a physician. Just as the initial dosing is gradual so too is the process of coming off SSRIs-a slow reduction.
What I meant by "you can't stop taking SSRI's" wasn't literally you can't stop taking the medication, but that the medication isn't a cure. It's not like taking an antibiotioc for a bacterial infection. You get rid of the infection and stop taking the antibiotic. This is not so for clinical anxiety, depression, OCD, etc... If you find an SSRI that helps relieve your symptoms, if you stop taking it, the old problems will return. SSRI's are not capable of "curing" anything, they work as long as you take them, they don't work if you don't take them.

I know people that were mislead by their doctors that they could just go on SSRI's for a few months then stop. Turned out the doctors never believed that they actually had a real problem and prescribed it as a placebo. They figured a few months then declare them cured and that would be it. Quacks.

Evo said:
What I meant by "you can't stop taking SSRI's" wasn't literally you can't stop taking the medication, but that the medication isn't a cure. It's not like taking an antibiotioc for a bacterial infection. You get rid of the infection and stop taking the antibiotic. This is not so for clinical anxiety, depression, OCD, etc... If you find an SSRI that helps relieve your symptoms, if you stop taking it, the old problems will return. SSRI's are not capable of "curing" anything, they work as long as you take them, they don't work if you don't take them.

Saying "the old problems will return" is overstating it quite a bit. I've personally gone on SSRIs, had benefit from them, and gone off them without any immediate/related recurrence of depression. Clinical depression isn't typically a persistent condition in most cases/ most people, either. (clinical anxiety/GAD and OCD, on the other hand, usually are).

Besides some weak nausea that I felt during the brief period of withdrawal, I didn't have any problems going off SSRIs. My depression didn't return; quite the contrary. Most people noted a markedly improved mood.

Again this points to the complexities regarding depression/anxiety and individuals. Because the mechanisms are not fully understood, different people will have different responses. In a previous post, I tried to point out that not all depression is created equal and may arise from different sources some of which may be temporary, others not. For individuals seeking relief from depression/anxiety it is important that they identify why they are depressed and if it may be temporary, if it is profound enough to interfere with their daily lives and abilities to function. If it is, then it is mandatory to seek professional help rather than self-treat and medicate. These days, finding a good physician who is versed in treating depression is now like choosing a good mechanic, ask around and do some research.

Everyone gets the 'blues', everyone will experience situational depression in their lives. Using supplements in place of professional assessment, is risky. I will never understand why anyone would play around with their brain chemistry! Thats playing with fire. Just because you can do it and the means is available doesn't mean you should.

As I stated before and bears repeating, SSRIs are not a panacea, it takes months for them to become really effective, sometimes people just stop them thinking it does no good. Some folks won't respond but like other problems, it can be a trial and error process to find what does, it requires patience sometimes which is difficult when one is stressed in this way. For some individuals, SSRIs are inadequate or need additional medications but that is only for a physician to determine.

Finally, I have to vent off a peeve. Self-diagnosis and treatment has been encouraged. There is a plethora of information available on the internet some which is nothing but snake oil, 30 second Ads for medications which seeks to replace the education/experience of a physician in determining the need/appropriateness of serious medications, some even pitched by fear. There are OTC supplements which are dangerous that include those to build muscle, etc. and can by themselves produce problems unforeseen by the user. Although people have the capacity to understand more, that decade or more of education of a physician cannot be short-circuited with a 30minute or even a 30day PhD on the net.

alxm said:
Saying "the old problems will return" is overstating it quite a bit. I've personally gone on SSRIs, had benefit from them, and gone off them without any immediate/related recurrence of depression. Clinical depression isn't typically a persistent condition in most cases/ most people, either. (clinical anxiety/GAD and OCD, on the other hand, usually are).

Besides some weak nausea that I felt during the brief period of withdrawal, I didn't have any problems going off SSRIs. My depression didn't return; quite the contrary. Most people noted a markedly improved mood.
It could very well be that the depression was only temporary to begin with. I'm talking about a person with such severe anxiety that they cannot work, they cannot go out, travel, talk on the phone to people they don't know, they have OCD, etc... After several doctors wouldn't even listen to them, one doctor said they'd put them on SSRI's for a few months, then take them off because it's really all just in their head and they can "get over it" if they want.

Nan said:
As I stated before and bears repeating, SSRIs are not a panacea, it takes months for them to become really effective, sometimes people just stop them thinking it does no good. Some folks won't respond but like other problems, it can be a trial and error process to find what does, it requires patience sometimes which is difficult when one is stressed in this way. For some individuals, SSRIs are inadequate or need additional medications but that is only for a physician to determine.
I agree, it takes trial and error, and it's not something you should expect to be on for just a few months. I've seen them help people to some extent, but never 100% and the symptoms return and sometimes seem worse once the medication has stopped, again, it takes a while for the symptoms to return as the medication's effects decrease.

There are many people on this forum that admit they were non-functioning before taking SSRI's and have been on them for years and are doing fine as long as they take them.