Conductivity of activated (porous) carbon

In summary: The answer to your question in that storing energy in the form of static electricity has significantly less energy density compared to possible chemical reactions. The molecular structure doesn't matter so much as the effective surface area of the material. In the case of a simple flat plate capacitor, the effective surface area is equivalent to the cross sectional area of material being used for the capacitor. Activated carbon can be made to be or is conductive, but the internal surface area remains immense. This makes it an ideal material for use in super capacitors, which can (I want to say never) provide as much power in the long term than a battery.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi, I am doing an experiment involving activated carbon and I need to know if activated carbon has a high level of conductivity. I've searched the internet but without results. in addition, if the Active carbon can be made to be or is conductive, does the immense internal surface area still remain?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input

-Tay

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, perhaps a different question.

I'm trying to find out how many coulombs of electricity I can store per m^2 on activated carbon. This is your classical question of "how much surface area in a capacitor does it take to equal the capacity of a battery?"

I'm having difficulty because calculating the number of available valence electrons is difficult since all of the carbon atoms are bonded with each other, filling many of those valence electrons. I don't understand how one can mathematically calculate how many coulombs can be stored per square meter without knowing the exact molecular structure.
Has there been an experiment done to provide this data?

Regards,

-Tay

taylaron said:
I don't understand how one can mathematically calculate how many coulombs can be stored per square meter without knowing the exact molecular structure.

If I'm not mistaken, the molecular structure doesn't matter so much as the effective surface area of the material. In the case of a simple flat plate capacitor, the effective surface area is equivalent to the cross sectional area of material being used for the capacitor.

And to answer your first question, yes carbon, activated or not, is very electrically conductive.

To my understanding, static electricity is the accumulation of electrons in the valence orbitals of an atom. I suppose if you took the mathematical average of the number of available valence shells per nanometer, one could calculate the exact number of coulombs that can be stored on a given amount of surface area. I was stuck with the concept that the varying molecular structure results in non-uniform bonds from atom to atom. The irregularity of these bonds would need to be known to calculate the number of valence shells to calculate the possible static electricity. The answer to my own question is to take the average number of valence electrons per unit surface area. If I am correct. One could take the measurement experimentally, but such high voltages have a tendency to leek through insulators, contributing to experimental error.

In addition, I found that the answer to my question in that storing energy in the form of static electricity has significantly less energy density compared to possible chemical reactions. There are only so many valence electrons in an atom, but even more electrons can be transferred during a chemical reaction. This is the primary reason why super capacitors can (I want to say never) provide as much power in the long term than a battery.

-Tay

Thoughts anybody?

1. What is the significance of conductivity in activated carbon?

The conductivity of activated carbon is important because it determines the ability of the material to conduct electricity. This property is crucial in many applications such as electronic devices, electrochemical sensors, and energy storage systems.

2. How is the conductivity of activated carbon measured?

The conductivity of activated carbon can be measured using various techniques such as four-point probe method, impedance spectroscopy, and electrical resistance measurements. These methods involve passing an electrical current through the material and measuring the voltage drop across it.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of activated carbon?

The conductivity of activated carbon is influenced by several factors, including the type of precursor material, degree of activation, porosity, and surface area. The presence of impurities and defects in the carbon structure can also affect its conductivity.

4. How does the porosity of activated carbon affect its conductivity?

The porosity of activated carbon plays a significant role in its conductivity. The presence of pores in the material provides a larger surface area for electron transfer, leading to higher conductivity. Additionally, the size and distribution of pores can influence the movement of ions and electrons within the material, affecting its overall conductivity.

5. Can the conductivity of activated carbon be improved?

Yes, the conductivity of activated carbon can be improved by optimizing the activation process to increase its porosity and surface area. Additionally, doping or adding conductive additives to the carbon can also enhance its conductivity. However, it is essential to balance the desired level of conductivity with other properties of activated carbon, such as adsorption capacity and mechanical strength.