Applying Newton's cooling equation to a real-world system

In summary, to apply Newton's cooling equation to this system, the best approach is to use a finite element method to break the pipe into smaller elements and solve for the temperature at each element, taking into account the boundary conditions and heat transfer within the pipe.
scootaash
Hi. I'm trying to apply Newton's cooling equation (if relevent) to the following system. We produce plastic piping, extruded at about 200 'C and cooled via water sprays to 35 'C. We are trying to calculate how fast we can run the pipe through the cooling sprays. It's been a very long time since I did any of this so any help would be appreciated! I'm not even sure if the equation is useful in this instance.Newton's cooling equation is :

dT/dt = k(T-M) where T is the object temp, t time and M the outside temperature.

So

T = C(e^kt) + M
Where C is the difference between the start and ambient temperature.

I can measure this for certain thicknesses and sizes of pipe, but the point is to be able to predict the final temperature for any size and thickness of pipe, given the same cooling. I have no idea how I would extend to do this!

The main problem is that only the external surface is cooled, so upon leaving the cooling tank the surface heats up again as heat is conducted to the surface.

Any suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem is to use a finite element method (FEM) approach. This involves breaking the piping into small elements and solving for the temperature at each element using Newton's cooling equation. The boundary conditions at each element are then applied and the temperatures at each node can be calculated. The FEM approach can better capture the effects of heat transfer within the pipe and can be used to estimate the final temperature of the pipe after it passes through the cooling sprays.

1. What is Newton's cooling equation?

Newton's cooling equation is a mathematical formula that describes the rate at which an object's temperature changes when it is in contact with a cooler or warmer environment. It takes into account the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the rate at which heat is transferred between them.

2. How is Newton's cooling equation applied to a real-world system?

To apply Newton's cooling equation to a real-world system, you need to have accurate measurements of the initial temperature of the object and the surrounding environment, as well as the rate of heat transfer. These values can then be plugged into the equation to calculate the rate at which the object's temperature will change over time.

3. What types of real-world systems can Newton's cooling equation be applied to?

Newton's cooling equation can be applied to a wide range of systems, including cooking or baking, heating and cooling systems, weather forecasting, and even the cooling of hot beverages or food items. Essentially, any situation where an object is in contact with a different temperature environment can be analyzed using this equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using Newton's cooling equation in real-world situations?

While Newton's cooling equation is a useful tool for predicting temperature changes in real-world systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the temperature difference between the object and the environment is relatively small and that the rate of heat transfer remains constant. In some cases, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to less accurate predictions.

5. How can Newton's cooling equation be used to optimize a real-world system?

By applying Newton's cooling equation to a real-world system, you can identify the rate at which the temperature of an object changes and how quickly it reaches the desired final temperature. This information can be used to optimize the system, for example, by adjusting the rate of heat transfer or the initial temperature of the object, to achieve the desired temperature more quickly and efficiently.