Solve Clausius Clapeyron Eqn for Vapor Pressure @95C

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the vapor pressure of diethyl ether at a higher temperature using the equation P2 = P1 * exp (delta H vap/R(1/T2-1/T1)). The speaker also mentioned converting the temperature to Kelvin and the enthalpy of vaporization from kJ/mol to J/mol. The final result of 2.19 atm was deemed correct.
devon10
It has been years scene I have taken a math class and I need help to see if I am setting the equation up correctly and if I have solved the problem correctly.

Diethyl ether has ∆Hvap of 29.1kJ/mol and a vapor pressure of 0.703 atm at 25.0 C. What is its vapor pressure at 95.0 C?

I converted the temp to K and kJ to J

In P2/P1=delta H vaporization/R (1/T2- 1/T1)

rearranged to

P2/P1= antilog (delta H vap/R (1/T2- 1/T1))

Then muliply by P1
P2= P1 antilog (delta H vap/R (1/T2- 1/T1))

antilog is also exp so...

P2= P1 exp(delta H vap/R (1/T2- 1/T1))

P2= .703 atm exp (29100/8.3145 (1/368-1/298)

P2= 2.19 atm

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks OK. I have not checked the final result.

--

Your set up and solution for the Clausius-Clapeyron equation to find the vapor pressure of diethyl ether at 95°C looks correct. I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. If you are unsure, you can always consult a math or chemistry textbook for guidance.

1. What is the Clausius Clapeyron Equation?

The Clausius Clapeyron Equation is a fundamental thermodynamic relationship that describes the behavior of the vapor pressure of a substance as a function of temperature. It is commonly used to calculate the vapor pressure of a substance at a given temperature.

2. How do you solve the Clausius Clapeyron Equation?

The Clausius Clapeyron Equation can be solved by rearranging the equation to solve for vapor pressure, P, at a given temperature, T. The equation is: ln(P2/P1) = -ΔHvap/R * (1/T2 - 1/T1), where P1 and T1 are the initial vapor pressure and temperature, and P2 and T2 are the final vapor pressure and temperature. Simply plug in the known values and solve for P2.

3. What is the significance of solving the Clausius Clapeyron Equation for vapor pressure?

Solving the Clausius Clapeyron Equation for vapor pressure allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a substance as it changes from a liquid to a gas. It is particularly useful in studying phase transitions and determining the boiling point of a substance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is typically measured in units of pressure, such as atmospheres (atm) or pascals (Pa). However, it can also be expressed in other units, such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or torr.

5. How does temperature affect vapor pressure according to the Clausius Clapeyron Equation?

According to the Clausius Clapeyron Equation, as temperature increases, vapor pressure also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for molecules to escape from the liquid and form a gas. Therefore, as temperature increases, more molecules escape and the vapor pressure increases.