High impedance circulating current scheme(calculate stabilising resistor)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum voltage across a relay and stabilizing resistor, as well as the relay impedance at setting current. The equations to calculate these values are provided, but information about the relay setting and VA burden is required. The conversation also refers to a circuit diagram, which is not provided. Additional data, such as the current transformer knee point voltage, is needed to complete the calculations. A software package for calculating these values is also mentioned.
StealthRay
Hi,

I am going through some texts but it was not very clear.I hope some experts here can help me on this.

The max voltage across the relay and stabilising resistor is given by;

(If/N)(Rs+Rb)

where If - max short circuit rating, A
N - current transformer, CT ratio
Rs - CT internal resistance
Rb - max lead burden

Relay impedance at setting current is given by VA burden/(I setting)2

Total relay circuit impedance = V max/I setting

Stabilising resistance = total relay circuit impedance - relay impedance at setting current.

Now if I have Isc=2000A
CT ratio=200:5
Rs=0.6 ohm
Rb=0.4 ohm

Hence max voltage calculated from the equation above = 50V.

Now here is the problem to find relay impedance at setting current,

Do I assume the relay setting and the VA burden or if these two parameters can be calculated from the above information?

Thank you.

p/s: I don't think we need to look at the circuit diagram because it just shows the protection scheme without going anywhere related to the calculation.

Edit:Posted the circuit diagram of the high impedance circulating current scheme.

circulatingcurrentprotect.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks very much like an incomplete version of a homework or coursework problem, presented without the schematic diagram which originally accompanied the text.

Some readers may be sufficiently familiar with this material to determine the original question, but it would be much better if you would present the question clearly in its original form.

Adjuster said:
This looks very much like an incomplete version of a homework or coursework problem, presented without the schematic diagram which originally accompanied the text.

Some readers may be sufficiently familiar with this material to determine the original question, but it would be much better if you would present the question clearly in its original form.

Aww,man,this is not a homework.As you can see,all the equations are there.I can even provide the step by step answers.It just that the text plainly stated the VA burden as 1 VA and relay setting as 0.1A,which I don't understand where they came from.

The final answer would be 400 ohm for the stabilising resistor.

I just need the explanation and this is not homework.

Thank you.

StealthRay said:
Hi,

I am going through some texts but it was not very clear.I hope some experts here can help me on this.

The max voltage across the relay and stabilising resistor is given by;

(If/N)(Rs+Rb)

where If - max short circuit rating, A
N - current transformer, CT ratio
Rs - CT internal resistance
Rb - max lead burden

Relay impedance at setting current is given by VA burden/(I setting)2

Total relay circuit impedance = V max/I setting

Stabilising resistance = total relay circuit impedance - relay impedance at setting current.

Now if I have Isc=2000A
CT ratio=200:5
Rs=0.6 ohm
Rb=0.4 ohm

Hence max voltage calculated from the equation above = 50V.

Now here is the problem to find relay impedance at setting current,

Do I assume the relay setting and the VA burden or if these two parameters can be calculated from the above information?

Thank you.

p/s: I don't think we need to look at the circuit diagram because it just shows the protection scheme without going anywhere related to the calculation.

Why are you talking about a current transformer ratio for a relay? This is confusing. Posting the diagram would help a lot.

berkeman said:
Why are you talking about a current transformer ratio for a relay? This is confusing. Posting the diagram would help a lot.

Ok,I have posted the circuit diagram.Thank you.

To Berkeman:- CT ratio needed as primary (not secondary) current given.

To All:- I have a software package developed that calculates stabilizing resistor values as well as much more, it's designed for HV Commissioning Engineers. If anyone's interested please send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a high impedance circulating current scheme?

A high impedance circulating current scheme is a method used to control and stabilize the flow of current in a power system. It involves using a stabilizing resistor to limit the amount of current that can circulate between two parallel transmission lines.

2. How does a high impedance circulating current scheme work?

The stabilizing resistor is connected between the two parallel transmission lines, and its value is calculated based on the system parameters. This creates a high impedance path for the circulating current, which helps to balance the current flow and reduce the risk of instability in the system.

3. When is a high impedance circulating current scheme used?

This scheme is commonly used in power systems with parallel transmission lines, where there is a risk of circulating current between the lines. It is also used in systems where there are significant differences in the impedances of the parallel lines.

4. How is the stabilizing resistor calculated in a high impedance circulating current scheme?

The value of the stabilizing resistor is calculated using the system parameters, such as the line impedances and the system voltage. The goal is to create a high enough impedance to limit the circulating current, but not so high that it causes excessive voltage drops.

5. What are the benefits of using a high impedance circulating current scheme?

This scheme can help to stabilize the current flow in a power system, reducing the risk of instability and voltage fluctuations. It also helps to protect the equipment and improve the overall efficiency of the system by balancing the current flow between the parallel lines.