What is the Empirical Formula of a Chemical Compound Given Combustion Data?

In summary, the given information states that 35.0mg of a compound with the empirical formula C-H-N combusts to produce 33.5mg of CO2 and 41.4mg of H2O. The attempt at a solution involves using stoichiometry to determine the number of moles of C, H, and O in the compound. However, the unknown value for N complicates the calculation process. To solve for N, one must convert the moles of C and H back to mass and find the difference from the total mass. The proportions can then be used to determine the relative amounts of each element in the empirical formula.
Whalstib

Homework Statement

35.0mg of C-H-N (the unknown is the empirical formula) combusts to produce 33.5mg CO2 + 41.4mg H2O

Homework Equations

I'm confused by the fact the product does not include N so I'm unsure how to figure for it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using all the information stoichometrically I have surmised 2 mols of O, 6 mols of H, 1 mol of C.
I used the same type of equations for each ie:
.0335g CO2 (1mol CO2/1mol C 44.01g) * (2mol O/ 1 Mol CO2) = .001522

Oncea again I'm stumped on how to figure the N...

Any help appreciatted!

Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't do the calculation but once you figure out how many mols of C and H you convert back to mass then add them together and find the difference from the total giving you the mass of N. Then you set up the proportions to find their relative amounts for the empirical formula (I believe you should be using the mols instead of the mass for the proportions).

1. What is a chemical compound formula?

A chemical compound formula is a representation of the elements present in a compound and the ratio in which they are combined. It shows the chemical symbols of the elements and the number of atoms of each element in the compound.

2. How do you write a chemical compound formula?

A chemical compound formula is written by first identifying the elements present in the compound and their corresponding chemical symbols. The number of atoms of each element is then indicated by a subscript after the symbol. The elements are written in the order of increasing electronegativity.

3. What is the purpose of a chemical compound formula?

A chemical compound formula is used to provide a concise and standardized way of representing a chemical compound. It also conveys important information about the elements present in the compound and the ratio in which they are combined.

4. How can you determine the number of atoms in a chemical compound?

The number of atoms in a chemical compound can be determined by looking at the subscripts in the chemical compound formula. Each subscript indicates the number of atoms of the corresponding element present in the compound.

5. Can a chemical compound formula be changed?

Yes, a chemical compound formula can be changed by adding or removing elements or changing the ratio in which they are combined. However, the new formula must still accurately represent the elements present in the compound and their ratio.