Mass difference between charged and uncharged battery - Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in mass between a charged and an uncharged AA battery, with a given power and time. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations E = W = Pt and Dm = DE/c^2 to calculate the change in mass due to the stored energy in the battery. The final answer is 7.2*10^-14 kg.
EnSlavingBlair

Homework Statement

A rechargeable AA battery with a mass of 25.0g can supply a power of 1.20W for 50.0mins.
What is the difference in mass between a charged and an uncharged battery?

Homework Equations

W = Pt
W = K = gmc^2 - mc^2
where g = 1/(1-(v/c)^2)^(-1/2)
E (total) = gmc^2 = K + E (rest) = K + mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

W = 1.20 * 3.00x10^3 = 3600J = K

I am unsure of where to go from there, or even if this is the right way to start. The question does not make it clear (for me) if the 25.0g of the battery relates to the rest energy or the charged energy. Assuming it was clear which the mass relates to, I do not know what to use for the velocity in g.

There is also the possibility (in my mind, at least) that in part this is a trick question. That there is no mass difference, as while the battery is not in use the electrons are not moving. But I'm sure that's not what the question means, as it goes on to ask what fraction of the total mass the mass difference is.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have just solved it.

2. Homework Equations

E = W = Pt

Dm = DE/c^2 (where D is delta)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I read this in a textbook

"Wherever additional energy DE in any form is stored in an object, the rest mass of the object is increased by DE/c^2"
-Paul A. Tiper 1978, Modern Physics, Worth Publishers, Inc. New York

Which I take to mean (in relation to my question)

DE = K = W = Pt = 1.2*5400 = 6480J

As the kinetic energy is the change in energy in the system, allowing DE = W

Dm = DE/c^2 = 6480/(3*10^8)^2 = 7.2*10^-14 kg

I'm fairly sure this is correct, but a second opinion never goes astray :)

1. What is the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery?

The mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery is negligible. When a battery is charged, the mass of the battery increases by a very small amount due to the energy stored in the battery. This increase in mass is described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. However, the mass difference is so small that it cannot be measured by any current technology.

2. How does Special Relativity explain the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery?

Special Relativity states that the mass of an object is not constant and can change with its velocity and energy. When a battery is charged, it gains energy in the form of electrical potential energy. This increase in energy also results in a small increase in mass.

3. Does the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery have any practical implications?

No, the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery is so small that it has no practical implications. It is only significant when dealing with extremely high energies, such as those found in nuclear reactions.

4. Can the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery be observed in everyday life?

No, the mass difference between a charged and uncharged battery is too small to be observed in our everyday lives. It requires extremely sensitive equipment to detect such small changes in mass.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of a charged battery?

Yes, the mass of a charged battery can also be affected by its temperature. According to the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy, the mass of a system is constant, but it can be converted into different forms of energy. So, when a battery is heated, it will gain energy in the form of heat, which will result in a small increase in mass.