Volume expansion of different gases

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand if different gases expand at different volumes under equal pressure and heat. They provide an example with oxygen and ask for a known gas with a larger expansion rate. They also compare it to the difference in expansion between copper and glass. However, it is noted that most gases follow the ideal gas equation and do not have a significant difference in expansion based on their identity.
jay22
first i want to apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section. my first post here.

I know that all gases expand at the same rate at consistant pressure when heated. My question is do different gases expand at different volumes under equal pressure and heat? If so what would be some examples of gases that expand in volume, to a much greater degree then other gases.

thank you,

Jay

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by "expand at different volumes", please elaborate.

--

ok say for example, you have oxygen that occupies a volume of 1 sq/ft at 25 degrees F. If the temperature of the oxygen where to rise to 30 degrees F, the volume of oxygen would expand to a greater volume then 1 sq/ft. What I am looking for is a known gas that has a very large expansion rate so to speak.

Again for example, If oxygen was 1 sq/ft at 25 degrees F, and then was to expand to a volume of 1.2 sq/ft at 30 degrees F, what gas would expand to a much larger volume then that of oxygen with the rise in temperature?

In comparison to solid items, copper will have a linear expansion much greater then that of glass with a rise in temperature. I'm looking for the "copper" of gases so to speak.

sq/ft - as far as I understand is a square feet, that's not a volume unit.

Most gases at reasonable conditions are pretty well approximated by ideal gas equation - so the "expansion rate" doesn't depend on the gas identity. That's why I had doubts if I understand what you mean.

--
methods

your totally right!
i mean to say a cubic foot of gas.

What is volume expansion of different gases?

Volume expansion of different gases is the phenomenon where the volume of a gas increases as its temperature increases. This is due to the particles in the gas gaining more kinetic energy and moving farther apart, causing the gas to take up more space.

Why do different gases expand at different rates?

Different gases expand at different rates because they have different molecular structures and properties. Each gas has a unique set of intermolecular forces that affect how its particles behave and how they respond to changes in temperature.

How does temperature affect the volume of a gas?

As the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of its particles also increases. This causes the particles to move faster and take up more space, resulting in an increase in volume. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the particles have less kinetic energy and the gas volume decreases.

What is Charles's Law and how does it relate to volume expansion of gases?

Charles's Law states that, at constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa. This law explains the relationship between temperature and volume in the volume expansion of different gases.

How is volume expansion of different gases measured?

Volume expansion of different gases can be measured using a device called a gas thermometer. This thermometer measures the change in pressure of a gas as its temperature changes, which can then be used to calculate the change in volume. Additionally, the ideal gas law can also be used to calculate the volume of a gas at different temperatures.