Polarization of individual photons.

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between photon spin and polarization, as well as the experimental evidence for the photon having a spin of 1. It also delves into the superposition of different polarization states, such as circular and linear, and how they can be expressed using the spin basis. Finally, the idea of longitudinal polarization is briefly mentioned, but ultimately ruled out due to the massless nature of photons.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently working my way through Sakurai's second book, "Advanced Quantum Mechanics."

I'm getting held up on a short several paragraphs on the connection between photon spin and polarization.

On pages 42-43, Sakurai states:

"Since the polarization transforms like a vector, the general theory of angular momentum encourages us to associate it with one unit of angular momentum. This is what is meant by the statement that they photon has one unit of spin angular momentum. [He then goes on to describe the circular polarization basis, and how individual photons are have spin parallel or antiparallel to the propagation direction.]"

So does this mean that all photons taken individually, are always circularly polarized? I want to say that I'm missing something, but this seems to be what he is saying. If someone could clarify this discussion on pages 42-43 of Sakurai's AQM, I'd really appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
All I know about the photon spin is as follows; (Though I don't have that Sakurai's book. :smile:)

The photon spin [tex]\pm[/tex] 1 correspond to the electromagnetic(E-M) waves with left and right circular polarization.
So the "linear" polarization corresponds to the superposition of these two states. (Though it's a little difficult to imagine.)

The QED shows the photon has the [tex]\pm\hbar[/tex] angular momentum. (To put it simply, the fact that the light polarization is the "vector" not spinor, leads to its "spin 1")

The "experimental evidence" of the photon spin 1 is as follows;
The fine structure of the hydrogen atom first indicated the relativistic energy difference between 2S and 2P in the Sommerfeld model.
But after the "electron spin" appeared, the interpretation of the fine structure was changed to the spin-orbital interaction (like the energy difference between 2P1/2 and 2P3/2 of the hydrogen atom).
So the "unnecessary" transition like 2S to 1S need to be inhibited to explain the hydrogen spectrum results.
The selection rule(2S --x--> 1S) means the existence of the photon spin 1.
[But, the energy levels of 2S1/2 and 2P1/2 are the same. So I wonder if this selection rule is really necessary or not. A little complex Lamb shift seems to be caused by the two photons...]

The polarization axis of one photon is important when we consider its interaction with the polarizing filter like in the Bell test experiment.
For example, when the angle difference between the photon polarization axis and the polarizing filter is 6 degrees,
The probability that the photon can pass through this filter is [tex](E^2) \cos^2 6 = 0.99 [/tex] = 99%.

(But personally I wonder why the photon particle (not wave) with the polarization axis different from the filter can pass through this filter so much.
If the photon is a "indivisible" particle, even when the angle difference is as small as 6 degrees, the particle can't pass through the filter at all, as a key doesn't match with a keyhole? )

Last edited:
ytuab said:
So the "linear" polarization corresponds to the superposition of these two states. (Though it's a little difficult to imagine.)

OK. So, then the spin basis is |1> |0> |-1>. Then a photon with linear polarization would be in the spin state:

[tex]|\chi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|-1> [/tex]

?

Does the m=0 state for the photon play a role in polarization states?

G01 said:
OK. So, then the spin basis is |1> |0> |-1>. Then a photon with linear polarization would be in the spin state:

[tex]|\chi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|-1> [/tex]

?

That's "probably" right.
Sorry, personally I wonder what the photon spin , superposition and entanglement really are.
So I also need some other persons' help.

R = right circular polarized wave, L= left circular polarized wave,
H=horizontal linear polarized wave, V=vertical linear polarized wave,
So the H linear wave can be expressed as,

[tex]|H\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|R\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|L\rangle[/tex]

And V linear wave is,

[tex]|V\rangle = -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|R\rangle + \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|L\rangle[/tex]

These are all one photon state which have the superposition of R, L, H and V.

G01 said:

No. m=0 would correspond to longitudinal polarization, which photons cannot have because they are massless (think back to freshman E&M: EM waves are always transverse).

1. What is polarization of individual photons?

Polarization of individual photons refers to the direction of the electric field oscillations of a single photon. This property determines the orientation of the photon's wave-like behavior and can be manipulated using various methods.

2. How is polarization of individual photons measured?

Polarization of individual photons can be measured using a polarizer, which is a device that filters out photons with certain directions of polarization. By manipulating the angle of the polarizer, the polarization of the photons passing through can be determined.

3. What are the different types of polarization of individual photons?

The three main types of polarization of individual photons are linear, circular, and elliptical. Linear polarization refers to photons with electric field oscillations in a straight line, while circular polarization refers to photons with electric field oscillations in a circular motion. Elliptical polarization is a combination of both linear and circular polarization.

4. Why is the polarization of individual photons important in science?

The polarization of individual photons is important in science because it has significant applications in fields such as telecommunications, quantum computing, and astronomy. It also provides valuable insights into the fundamental nature of light and its behavior.

5. Can the polarization of individual photons be changed?

Yes, the polarization of individual photons can be changed through various methods such as using polarizers, birefringent materials, or quantum entanglement. This property has important implications in quantum information processing and communication.