Potential difference in circuits

In summary: So what is the current I(R) (current as a function of resistance) when the two resistors are placed in series? The same current flows through both resistors, but the power P = I^R is different, right?And when you have the equations for each resistor's power as a function of resistance for the two configurations, set the max power to 10W and solve for the power supply voltage that would be applied to make that current.
lha08

Homework Statement

In series and parallel circuits, I'm confused like let's say 2 resistors are placed both in series and parallel, how can we tell when the potential difference is at a maximum? Like if one of these resistors has a higher value than the other, do we use that in our calculation since it is the higher value or are there certain exceptions...?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:

Homework Statement

In series and parallel circuits, I'm confused like let's say 2 resistors are placed both in series and parallel, how can we tell when the potential difference is at a maximum? Like if one of these resistors has a higher value than the other, do we use that in our calculation since it is the higher value or are there certain exceptions...?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Use the equations for combining resistors in series and in parallel. In series, their values just add. Do you know the equation for the equivalent resistance for two resistors in parallel?

berkeman said:
Use the equations for combining resistors in series and in parallel. In series, their values just add. Do you know the equation for the equivalent resistance for two resistors in parallel?

yes i do but like when they ask for the maximum potential difference, do we always have to use the equivalent resistance for both series and parallel circuits? I think it's just the maximum potential difference that's sort of throwing me off.

lha08 said:
yes i do but like when they ask for the maximum potential difference, do we always have to use the equivalent resistance for both series and parallel circuits? I think it's just the maximum potential difference that's sort of throwing me off.

The term "maximum potential difference" has no meaning without more context. Maximum with respect to what? What is the voltage source, and where is it in relation to these resistor circuits you are asking about.

Could you state the whole problem word-for-word please, and include the circuit diagram if possible. That would help a lot in answering yur question.

berkeman said:
The term "maximum potential difference" has no meaning without more context. Maximum with respect to what? What is the voltage source, and where is it in relation to these resistor circuits you are asking about.

Could you state the whole problem word-for-word please, and include the circuit diagram if possible. That would help a lot in answering yur question.

'Two resistors with values 2 ohms and 5 ohms are each rated at 10 W. What is the maximum potential difference that can be applied when they are placed
a) in parallel
b) in series
and the answers are a) 4.47 V and b) 9.9 V
but like i used the formula P=V^2/R but when i plug it in and solve, they don't come out to the right answer...maybe I'm using the wrong formula? like perhaps i need o find the current first?

lha08 said:
'Two resistors with values 2 ohms and 5 ohms are each rated at 10 W. What is the maximum potential difference that can be applied when they are placed
a) in parallel
b) in series
and the answers are a) 4.47 V and b) 9.9 V
but like i used the formula P=V^2/R but when i plug it in and solve, they don't come out to the right answer...maybe I'm using the wrong formula? like perhaps i need o find the current first?

In this case, it would be easier probably to use the P = I^2R eqiation. The trick here is that you need to calculate the power in *each* resistor in those two configurations, to make sure that one does not get over its rated power.

So what is the current I(R) (current as a function of resistance) when the two resistors are placed in series? The same current flows through both resistors, but the power P = I^R is different, right?

And when you have the resitors in parallel, what are the two currents going to be? (they won't be equal).

When you have the equations for each resistor's power as a function of resistance for the two configurations, set the max power to 10W and solve for the power supply voltage that would be applied to make that current.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in a circuit.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, allowing it to measure the potential difference between two points.

What causes potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference is caused by the presence of an electric field in a circuit. This electric field is created by the flow of electrons from a higher potential to a lower potential.

How does potential difference affect current flow?

Potential difference is directly proportional to current flow in a circuit. This means that as potential difference increases, so does the current flow. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals potential difference (V) divided by resistance (R).

What is the significance of potential difference in circuits?

Potential difference is essential for the functioning of electrical circuits. It allows for the flow of electrons, which is necessary for the operation of devices such as light bulbs, motors, and electronic devices. It also allows for the transfer of energy from a power source to the components in a circuit.