Laser rate equation modeling

In summary, the conversation revolves around a scientist seeking help with their Tm3+ fiber laser rate equation modeling. They have run into problems with the dimensions in their equations and are seeking clarification on the use of certain terms. They also stumbled upon a simplified expression for the pump absorption rate and are looking for further explanation on its derivation.
test1234
hi, I'm working on Tm3+ fiber laser rate equation modeling using Mathematica.
The rate equations I'm using for the model are largely based on the work of Jackson and King ("Theoretical Modeling of Tm doped silica fiber lasers", 1999), albeit neglecting some factors so as to simply the model.

However, I've ran into some problems...hope that someone can help shed some light. Thanks!
1) Upon performing dimension analysis on the expression for the local pump absorption rate based on the journal by Jackson and King, the dimensions on the LHS and RHS do not agree.

Referring to Xu, J. et al ("Efficient Double-Clad Thulium-Doped Fiber Laser with a Ring Cavity"), they included an extra term c (speed of light) in the expression for the pump absorption rate. I considered the dimensions of c to be M/L and performed the analysis again but to no avail.

Then I chanced upon this expression, [tex]c_p_a=\frac{\lambda_p_A \Gamma_p_A \sigma_a_s_B}{h c A}{}[/tex]
where [tex]c_p_a[/tex]: speed of pump wavelength (I think?)
[tex]\lambda_p_A [/tex]: pump wavelength
[tex]\Gamma_p_A [/tex]: confinement factor
[tex]\sigma_a_s_B [/tex]: absorption cross section at laser wavelength
h: Planck's constant
c: speed of light
A: area of fiber core

This yields dimensions that are agreeable with the rate equation. But I don't know how this formula came about. could someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Attachments

• rate.doc
    69 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am also a scientist working in the field of fiber lasers and have experience with rate equation modeling using Mathematica. I would be happy to help you with your problems.

Firstly, it is important to check your equations and make sure you are using the correct units for all variables. Dimensional analysis is a good approach to ensure consistency in your equations.

Regarding the expression for local pump absorption rate, the extra term of c (speed of light) is most likely included to account for the units of the absorption cross section (cm^2). This is a common practice in rate equation modeling and helps to ensure that the dimensions on both sides of the equation are consistent.

The expression you found, c_p_a=\frac{\lambda_p_A \Gamma_p_A \sigma_a_s_B}{h c A}, is a simplified form of the full expression for pump absorption rate. This simplified form is often used in rate equation modeling as it takes into account the most important factors and is easier to work with.

I would suggest referring to other sources and literature on fiber lasers to gain a better understanding of the equations and their derivations. It is also helpful to consult with other scientists in the field and discuss your findings and equations with them.

I hope this helps to shed some light on your problems. Best of luck with your modeling.

1. What is laser rate equation modeling?

Laser rate equation modeling is a mathematical approach used to describe the dynamics of a laser system. It takes into account the processes of absorption, spontaneous and stimulated emission, and the population inversion of the laser medium to predict the output power and other characteristics of the laser.

2. How does laser rate equation modeling work?

Laser rate equation modeling works by using a set of differential equations to describe the rate of change of the populations of energy levels within the laser medium. These equations take into account the input energy, losses, and gain of the laser system to predict the output power and other characteristics.

3. What are the applications of laser rate equation modeling?

Laser rate equation modeling has many applications in laser research and development, including the design and optimization of laser systems, studying the effects of different parameters on laser performance, and predicting the behavior of lasers in different environments and conditions.

4. What are the limitations of laser rate equation modeling?

While laser rate equation modeling is a powerful tool, it has certain limitations. It assumes a homogenous laser medium and does not take into account the spatial distribution of the laser beam. It also does not account for nonlinear effects and can be inaccurate for highly complex laser systems.

5. What are the benefits of using laser rate equation modeling?

Laser rate equation modeling allows for a better understanding of the fundamental processes involved in laser operation and can aid in the optimization and design of laser systems. It also provides a cost-effective and efficient way to predict the performance of a laser without needing to physically test different configurations.