Can Photons Orbit a Black Hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of photons orbiting black holes and the potential for detecting black holes through flashes of light caused by these orbiting photons. It is explained that photons can only orbit at a certain distance from the black hole, and that this orbit is unstable. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of detecting black holes without accretion discs and the role of lensing effects in observing them.
Medium9
I do have a question that bothers me for some days now. I'm not too sure how qualified it is, but my mind needs to be eased here.

I understand, that it may be taken as a fact, that BHs cause enough gravity to make photons "vanish" behind the event horizon. So like with any stellar object, there needs to be a breaking point, a balance between "this particle will escape" and "this particle will fall down"; an orbit. So if photons escape BHs at one distance, but fall into it at a closer one, there necessarily has to be a distance where photons will actually orbit a BH, or at least circle around it for considerable time. Of course, that area would be RIGHT above the event horizon.

If this assumption is accurate, then any matter that is pulled in needs to cross this orbital zone, and there should be a chance for this matter to be hit by such an orbiting photon - of which I could imagine quite many to be there. This then should either cause heat, or scattered radiation directly, which should then be measurable.

Has this been considered and attempted to either calculate or measured by someone? If so, are there any noteworthy results? (Preferably in terms that a non-physicist has a chance to understand :))

Thanks in advance,
Medium9

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well you hit something on the head here! The event horizon is located at a distance r=2M (in units where c=G=1) from the singularity. Now, if you imagine putting a photon just outside the EH, it will have to be directed completely radially outward in order to balance the tendency to fall in -- it will hover. This is not an orbit, and not what we want. It turns out that the distance a photon is able to orbit at is r=3M, 3/2 the schwarzschild radius of the black hole. Indeed, at least for a non-charged, non-rotating black hole, photons travel in a circular orbit at this radius. The orbit, however, is unstable. Any deviation from the orbit will lead to the photon either escaping to infinity or falling into the hole.

Some other information you might be interested in:
The closest distance at which a massive particle can be in a stable circular orbit is r=6M. Any closer, and the orbit is unstable (small deviations lead to big deviations). You have to orbit progressively faster and faster below r=6M in order to stay in the unstable circular orbit, though. So as you approach r=3M, the requisite velocity for the orbit approaches the speed of light!

Mh, I tend to draw more questions from your reply than have been answered :)

First of all: If photons closer than 3/2 of the schwarzschild radius orbit, wouldn't they always fall in if they got any closer? Why than is the schwarzschild radius smaller than that? What escapes between those two thresholds?

Also, my intention to where I wanted to go with this question stands open. If there are orbiting photons (unstable ones that soon deviate enough are still there for quite some time I guess), and matter gets hit by them, shouldn't we be able to detect BHs as dimly flashing areas? I ask, because so far I've always only learned that BH detection can only be done through interpretation of lensing effects, so that BHs without much bright background may stay undetected forever. It would have been quite a nice way to detect BHs more directly.

First, to answer the 2nd part of your question. Black holes are easily recognizable by their accretion disks (inspiraling matter which heats up and gives off characteristic x-ray radiation). The observation you propose is fundamentally no different, but extraordinarily more difficult to carry out (these events would be far dimmer). Lensing effects do give us a view of black holes without accretion disks, but without matter near the hole, it's doubtful your photon scheme would work either.

You misunderstood. Photons closer than 3/2 the schwarzschild radius do not orbit, they either fall in or go out. They do not need to fall in necessarily because they can be directed more outwards than inwards, in which case they escape to infinity. Like I said, you can imagine a photon right at the event horizon needs to be directed completely radially outwards to avoid falling in. Now imagine moving slightly and slightly further away. The critical angle the photon needs to be pointed at to avoid falling in becomes greater and greater (measured with respect to the radial line) until at r=3m it is 90 degrees, which is the condition for a circular orbit! Hopefully this gives you a decent picture in your head, I wish I could draw one for you. If you understand this, the first part of your question should make sense now.

Ah okay, I think I'm getting there. My mistake was to assume the circular orbit at the event horizon in the first place, for which there actually was no reason, I see that now.

Also, I'm feeling a bit dumb right now for the second part of my question. I was aware of accretion discs, but I simply didn't consider that with the absence of matter to make up one, there is just as few matter that could fall in, producing the flashes I assumed. Wow, that took embarrassingly long for me to realize...

Thanks for your help Nabeshin!

1. Can photons orbit a black hole?

Yes, photons can orbit a black hole, but only in certain circumstances. In order for this to happen, the black hole must have a strong and stable magnetic field. This field can cause photons to move in a circular orbit around the black hole, known as a photon ring.

2. How close can photons get to a black hole?

The closest a photon can get to a black hole without being pulled in is known as the "photon sphere." This is located at a distance of 1.5 times the Schwarzschild radius, which is the radius of the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole.

3. Can photons escape a black hole's gravitational pull?

No, once a photon crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This is because the event horizon is the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

4. How are photons affected by the curvature of space-time around a black hole?

The curvature of space-time around a black hole can cause photons to follow a curved path, known as gravitational lensing. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole bending the path of light.

5. Can photons be used to study black holes?

Yes, photons can be used to study black holes. By observing the behavior of light around a black hole, scientists can gather information about the mass, spin, and other properties of the black hole. This helps us to better understand these mysterious objects in our universe.