Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model

In summary, the conversation discusses a Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model with a Lagrangian consisting of Yang-Mills and Chern-Simons type terms. The system initially starts with small values for both terms, but over time, the values become significantly larger and reach an equilibrium state. This is due to the fact that the YM and CS terms have opposite signs that cancel each other out and can still produce a small value for the Lagrangian. This behavior is expected for a generic system simulated by Monte-Carlo methods.
mvachovski
Hello there,

I am writing a Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model with a Lagrangian consisting
of two parts - Yang-Mills and Chern-Simons type terms. As I am accepting/rejecting
new states with probability P=min{1, dL}, where dL is the change of the lagrangian.

But then there is something weird. When I plot the values of the YM and CS terms as functions
of the Monte-Carlo time, it seems that the system "starts" in a state that both terms are small,
but after some time the terms become significantly bigger and there is "the equilibrium"
And this effect is because the YM and CS terms have such sings that big values of them cancel
and still can produce a small value for the Lagrangian, but this would simply mean that the equilibrium
of the system is a state with a bigger energy! Is this behavior proper/expected or I am doing
something wrong?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I'm uploading the plot of the YM and CS over Monte-Carlo time.

Attachments

• YM_and_CS.png
    YM_and_CS.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi all,

For those which could encounter the same situation.
As I learned a bit more about the model it seems, that really should be the equilibrium
state of the system. So for generic system which is simulated by Monte-Carlo methods
this could happen.

Cheers

1. What is Monte-Carlo simulation?

Monte-Carlo simulation is a computational technique used to model the behavior of complex systems by generating multiple random samples and analyzing their outcomes. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to estimate the behavior and uncertainty of a system.

2. How is Monte-Carlo simulation used in a matrix model?

In a matrix model, Monte-Carlo simulation is used to estimate the behavior and uncertainty of a system that can be described by a matrix. The simulation involves generating random matrices based on a set of rules and analyzing their outcomes to understand the behavior of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model?

One advantage of using Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model is that it allows for the analysis of complex systems that cannot be easily solved analytically. It also provides a way to incorporate randomness and uncertainty into the model, which can lead to more accurate predictions.

4. What are the limitations of using Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model?

One limitation of using Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model is that it can be computationally expensive, especially when dealing with large systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality and appropriateness of the rules used to generate the random matrices.

5. How can the results of a Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model be interpreted?

The results of a Monte-Carlo simulation for a matrix model can be interpreted by analyzing the distribution of outcomes and identifying the most likely scenarios based on the generated data. The simulation can also provide insights into the sensitivity of the system to different variables and help identify any potential risks or uncertainties.