How to Make a Buck-Boost Converter with Continuous Current and Open Loop Design

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's goal to make a Buck-Boost converter for their Design PE class but they are unsure of how to start and what components to choose. They are looking for a tutorial or step-by-step guide and have checked websites for National Semiconductor and Maxim. The speaker also clarifies that they want an "adjustable" output voltage, not an "open loop" one.
Frexter

Homework Statement

I have to make a Buck-Boost converter for my Design PE class but the problem is even though i have read about them i seriously don't know where to start. I have to make calculations and choose a mosfet, load, capacitor and an inductor but i don't know how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for a tutorial or a step-by-step guide on building a BBC. It's pretty basic actually not extremely complicated but i just need a nudge to the correct direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frexter said:

Homework Statement

I have to make a Buck-Boost converter for my Design PE class but the problem is even though i have read about them i seriously don't know where to start. I have to make calculations and choose a mosfet, load, capacitor and an inductor but i don't know how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for a tutorial or a step-by-step guide on building a BBC. It's pretty basic actually not extremely complicated but i just need a nudge to the correct direction.

Have you checked out the websites for National Semiconductor or Maxim? You will find a lot of useful application and design information there, since they make the ICs that you can use for controllers.

And what do you mean by "Open Loop" in the title of this thread? You will generally use feedback to stabilize the output voltage...

By open loop, i mean the output voltage can be controlled by a potansiometer.

Frexter said:
By open loop, i mean the output voltage can be controlled by a potansiometer.

Ah. That's not "open loop", that's "adjustable".

Were you able to find some useful application notes at those websites?

I understand your struggle with making a Buck-Boost converter with continuous current and open loop design. It can be overwhelming to try and figure out where to start, especially if you don't have much experience with this type of project. My suggestion would be to start by researching the basic principles and equations involved in designing a Buck-Boost converter. This will give you a better understanding of the components you will need to choose and how they will work together.

Once you have a solid understanding of the theory, you can then move on to making your calculations. This will involve determining the desired output voltage and current, as well as the input voltage and current. From there, you can select an appropriate MOSFET, load, capacitor, and inductor based on their specifications and how they will affect the performance of your converter.

I would also recommend looking for tutorials or step-by-step guides online that can provide more specific instructions for building a Buck-Boost converter. You can also reach out to your classmates or instructor for guidance and assistance. Building a BBC may seem daunting at first, but with the right resources and support, you can successfully complete this project. Good luck!

1. What is a buck-boost converter?

A buck-boost converter is a type of DC-DC converter that can step up or step down a DC voltage, depending on the desired output. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate the voltage and provide a stable power supply.

2. What is continuous current in a buck-boost converter?

Continuous current refers to the constant flow of current through the converter, without any interruptions or breaks. This is important for the stability and efficiency of the converter.

3. What is open loop design in a buck-boost converter?

An open loop design means that the converter does not have a feedback loop to regulate the output voltage. This design is simpler and less expensive, but may not provide as accurate or stable output as a closed loop design.

4. How do I make a buck-boost converter with continuous current and open loop design?

To make a buck-boost converter with continuous current and open loop design, you will need to choose the appropriate components such as inductors, capacitors, and transistors. You will also need to design the circuit layout and calculate the necessary values for the components based on the desired output voltage and current.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a buck-boost converter with continuous current and open loop design?

While this design may be simpler and less expensive, it may not provide as accurate or stable output as a closed loop design. Additionally, the lack of a feedback loop means that the converter may not be able to compensate for changes in the input voltage or load, which could affect the output voltage.