I need to prove that the following is not surjective. how do i do

• Thread starter donmkeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjective
Since the range of f is the set of all real numbers, there can be no x such that f(x)= -7. f is not surjective.In summary, to prove that the function f(x)=x^2+3x+4 is not surjective, we can show that there is no x in the domain such that f(x) can equal any value in the codomain. This is done by noting that the minimum value of f is 1.75, making it impossible for f to map to any value less than 1.75. Additionally, we can also show that there is no real solution to the equation f(x)=-7, proving that there is no x such that f(x)
donmkeys
i need to prove that the following is not surjective. how do i do that?

let f:R->R be the function defined by f(x)=x^2 + 3x +4.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to find at least one point in the codomain for which there is no mapping from the domain through f.

In other words, that function can only be surjective if we can choose some x to make f(x) equal to any value we like in R.

Clearly this function is bounded below by its minimum at x = -1.5,
which is f(-1.5) = 2.25 -4.5 + 4 = 1.75.

Observing that f has a minimum value of 1.75, we see that it is impossible to find any x in the real numbers such that f(x) is less than 1.75, thus f is not a surjective function.

donmkeys said:
i need to prove that the following is not surjective. how do i do that?

let f:R->R be the function defined by f(x)=x^2 + 3x +4.
The simplest thing to do is to note that the solutions to the equation [itex]x^2+ 3x+ 4= 0[/itex] are given by
[tex]\frac{-3\pm\sqrt{9- 4(1)(4)}}{2}= \frac{-3\pm\sqrt{-7}}{2}[/tex]
and so are not real numbers.

1. How do I know if a function is surjective?

In order for a function to be surjective, every element in the range must have at least one corresponding element in the domain. To prove that a function is not surjective, you can show that there is at least one element in the range that does not have a corresponding element in the domain.

2. What is the difference between surjective and injective functions?

A function is surjective if every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In contrast, a function is injective if every element in the range has at most one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, a surjective function "covers" its entire range, while an injective function does not have any repeats in its domain.

3. How can I prove that a function is not surjective?

To prove that a function is not surjective, you can use a counterexample. This means finding a specific element in the range that does not have a corresponding element in the domain. By showing that even one element does not have a pre-image, you can prove that the function is not surjective.

4. Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. This type of function is called a bijection. A bijection is a one-to-one correspondence between the domain and range, meaning that every element in the domain has one and only one corresponding element in the range, and vice versa.

5. What is the importance of proving that a function is not surjective?

Proving that a function is not surjective is important because it can help you understand the behavior of the function and its relationship between the domain and range. It can also help identify any limitations or restrictions on the function. Additionally, proving that a function is not surjective can be useful in solving various mathematical problems and proofs.